Fix Admin Permissions After the Restoring Leopard

Reaction score
Please let me know if anybody is an EXPERT with permissions under Leopard. My permissions are messed up and Disk Utility is not going to fix them.

Here's a quick summary. I recently upgraded my Macbook Pro Hard drive and transfered all my files from my time machine back up. Initially, Time machine did not allow me to restore to the new hard drive. Maybe it had to do with different hard drive partition sizes; the 120 GB versus 500GB hard drive. So I proceeded to install MACOSX with the Leopard DVD and transfered my files with the migration assistant.

First, my login did not return after restoring Leopard. I had to reset the password through another admin account. Thus I had to re-establish the login and administrator account. Then I had to change the permissions on all my files for access; chmod -R 777.

Now, I am rebuilding my permissions and changing ownership on my files (just traditional *.txt,*.doc,*.xls, *.pdf files). I don't want these files accessible to everybody. But when I give the owner read/write permissions (chmod u+rw) and disable group/everybody (chmod go-rw), Leopard does not allow me access to my files. The workaround is "chmod -R 777" all files, which is ALARMING.

I have doubled check the permission and ownership on these files (ls -l) and I clearly have full access (-rwx); the my username, neville310, owns these files (sudo chown -R neville310:staff ~). I believe that that my login account is not properly setup. Any ideas?

Code:
MacBookPro:Neville neville310$ sudo chmod -R go-rw .
MacBookPro:Neville neville310$ ls 
ls: .: Permission denied
MacBookPro:Neville neville310$ sudo chmod -R ugo+rwx .
MacBookPro:Neville neville310$ ls -l
-rwxrwxrwx@   1 neville310  staff    21860 Apr 11 16:33 TEMP_ToDO.txt
<file listing>

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you want only the owner to have read, write, execute and all else read and execute only. Then use 755 in place instead of the 777. 755 equates to -rwxr-xr-x.

Hopefully you are doing this on your data files and not the system files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.