Problem with wireless connection

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using a Macbook (Intel) with OS X 10.4.11. I have had the computer for just over two years, and have been using it wirelessly with the same router set up since I got it. However, recently (mid-december 2008), the wireless range has suddenly become much more limited; and loading times have become much slower. No other PC's running on the same router are having the problem. So far I have tried changing the channel on the router, and I have checked the connections to my airport card for fraying etc, however haven't had any luck.

Any help on the issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Hi there,

Perhaps you need to update your airport technology. Check for software updates and see if there are any available for your Mac. Or you could get it checked in at your local Apple Retail Store.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok thanks, software is up to date so I think a trip to the apple store is necessary. Thanks!

Reaction score
Funny that my wife's white MacBook of about 2 years old had started doing the same thing sometime late 2008. I also have a MacBook Pro and iMac that have no problems at all. The software is up-to-date but since my Linksys router was about 6 years old I decided to upgrade to a new Airport Extreme. Didn't help so we have a call in for a visit to Apple. I bought her the extended service plan and it's come in handy several times. Once the lid broke and then the cover around the keypad cracked. Didn't have to pay anything!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is usually related to another 2.4GHz device interfering with your wireless network. The fix is pretty simple, just experiment with different channels on your wireless router (set in the configuration web page).

Most likely one of you neighbors got a new router or cordless phone and it's operating on the same channel as yours.

Reaction score
In my case my nearest neighbor is 200 yards away and we haven't added anything new to the house in years. Also, I can put all 3 computers side-by-side and the white MacBook will have very little or no signal while the others are at full strength. If I get real close to the router then I get good signal but 30 feet away and it's very low. Hopefully it's the aircard and the Mac doctor will fix it. ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Still, it's an easy and inexpensive thing to try (ie it costs you nothing, and you only stand to gain). It also might not hurt to update the firmware if you haven't already done so. You'd be surprised what devices run on 2.4GHz and how far the signal can extend. Microwave ovens, cordless phones, even baby monitors can emit signals on that band.

Reaction score
A couple of things to try, some will sound stupid, but helped me on my PB, don't have the problem with my MBP running Leo. First, unplug your router, unplug the modem. wait a couple of min. plug in the modem, wait until all the lights come on and stop, plug in the router. I should have said this before, don't plug your router in the wall socket, plug it in the surge protector. My electrician buddy told me in the wall, the router can have spikes that cause interference with your wireless signal. Download iStumbler, after you start it, if you can see any connections, your neighbor might have a 2.4 GHz phone that your laptop is picking up, it might be on the wall nearest you, ask them to move it. Separate your router & modem by 2 ft if you can, put a woofer and speaker in between. I had your same problem for 6 months before one of these things fixed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.