replacing macbook pro hard drive

Reaction score
i want to replace the hd. i have never opened a mdp before. would you say I am able to do it myself or would i need to take it to a shop to get done?

cheers :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
There are guides on how to do this yourself at Mac Fixit

MacBook Pro

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends on what kind of model you have.

You can go to ifixit and check under guides for a step by step instructions. Then there is always google and youtube if you want to see vids of someone doing it.

Reaction score
If you are a tech-savvy person the MBP hard drive replacement is simple enough, if not a little tedious. If you're not tech-savvy I would not recommend doing this by yourself.

OP
G
Reaction score
replacing hard drive

is it likely that if you took your macbook pro to a mac outlet they would be able to do this there and then?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably, but it would be best to call ahead and schedule an appointment. If your MBP is out of warranty or Apple care, have you thought about replacing the drive yourself?

You can find step by step instructions at this site: Link

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
yes I have thought about it but it isnt out of warranty for another 4 months like :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
does replacing the hard drive void warranty? if not, it's actually very simple to replace it and there's nothing to be scared of :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
does replacing the hard drive void warranty? if not, it's actually very simple to replace it and there's nothing to be scared of :)

Depends, on the old macbook pros there is alot of stuff to do to replace the HD (about 21 screws to get it all apart)

Newer mbp's and the plastics are easy to get at the HD

OP
G
Reaction score
MBP HD replace (again)

OK so I have 3 months of my year warranty left. it will cost me 1100HKD, 100 GBP, 135 USD for them to open it up and replace it plus the cost of the HD. I am a Mechanical Engineer and not too scared. the only thing that scares me are the clips on the casing as i just hate doing clips (even on the interiors of cars) as they usually dont clip back in or break.

So I have until Monday to decide wether or not to do it by myself and if it is worth it. Sorry but I am SOOOOOOOOO indecisive:Oops:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why is it going to cost $135 to replace the hard drive if you have 3 months left on the warranty?

Also, you don't say which MBP you have. It's relatively easy to replace the hard drive on the current line of MacBook Pro machines. Older MBP is more difficult.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 15" bout just under a year ago from a apple retailer. 2.4 model I think. I know that you have to take the casing off. the reason I have to pay to change the hard drive is that I want to upgrade it... and to open the machine they charge this so as to not void the warrenty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
some people argue whether or not this actually voids the warrenty. Its not to hard to do it yourself, I've opened up my MBP (same as yours) many times with out damaging anything. Just don't lose any screws.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Look at this: Mac Repair

Tells you step-by-step what to do - I shall be doing it soon to raise my 200 to 500 Gb.

Put some sticky paper tape sticky-side up to put the screws on and take digital pictures of each stage on YOUR computer and you shouldn't be able to muck it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.