how do i defrag / clean my harddrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
uh how do i do that? like in windows - there defrag? i'm curious how would i do about in mac osx?
thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
OSX uses a Journaled file system so there is no defragmentation necessary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
trpnmonkey41 said:
OSX uses a Journaled file system so there is no defragmentation necessary

Rather, OS X Panther automatically degragments files whenever they are opened.

Journalling and defragmenting are seperate things. Defragmenting consolidates files on disk for faster opening. (Panther also uses "hot file clustering," which groups frequently accessed files together, to improve performance.)

Journalling helps to prevent errors in the event that a file system write is interrupted (by, say, a power outage.)

But anyway, trpnmonkey41 is right in that no defragmenting is necessary.

So long as we're on the topic of maintenance, though...you might want to look into running cron jobs manually, though. Cron jobs are maintenance tasks that normally run very early in the morning. Since most people keep there Macs asleep or off at 3AM, they often don't get run. MacJanitor will do this on command.

I

IChing

I also use System Optimizer X which is designed to improve system, internet, and disk speed and stability using proven system-level operations and tweaks:
it is a shareware and can be found at http://www.mkd.cc/sox/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
semi off topic:

so if i leave my powerbook on all day and all night without it going to sleep i would NOT need a progam such as mac janitor???

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
nope, though if its not in use, its best to sleep it, especially on a laptop, to conserver battery power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Even if you don't leave your machine on overnight all the time, on the occasional time that you do, it will run any of those things that it missed when it was sleeping.

Reaction score
I have used OnyX in the past, works OK but I started getting Apple script errors with the last version. Didn't like that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
onyx is ok, but definitely not for beginners, and can cause problems even through correct use.

S

Steel02001

Macman said:
onyx is ok, but definitely not for beginners, and can cause problems even through correct use.

How so, because while I am not a computer beginner I am new to my powerbook and I dont want to mess anything. Can a get some hints/tips or maybe even a better program to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I've never had OnyX cause problems with either of my systems, but if you're looking for something basic and "fool-proof", try Maintenance by Titanium Software (creator of OynX). It will allow you to run all maintenance scripts with a single click, but you'll have to use Disk Utility to repair permissions.

Titanium Software Downloads

S

Steel02001

Macman: What should I be careful about on on OnyX?

Padawan, thanks, I do already have OnyX downloaded and used it a few times so I want to see what else macman has to say but AI will definately check out that site after I get the story on OnyX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont clear any caches if you dont know what it is used for, dont checkmark anything to be done if you dont know what it is. Ive seen too many times a user go click happy, check everything, run it, then their computer wont startup. macjanitor, macaroni, cocktail, and maintenance are all good apps. theres also tinkertool.

S

Steel02001

So basically if I just leave it alone, because obviously my computer still works, and just use it now and then but on default I shouldn't have any problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use Cocktail and really like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pretty much, just routine maintenance every now and then, I use cocktail. I also use system optimizer x every few months or so, but cocktail about once a month.

M

menace3054

actually, that isnt 100% correct. i used to not think that either, but then i got tech tool pro and used their defrag tool. the process took about 3 hours, but my system ran so much faster afterwards. I dont think it needs to be done very often, but it definately helped

M

menace3054

oh yea, again my 2 cents on SOX (system optimizer) i like it for most of its utilities, but i think the permissions repairs actually screw up the permissions. whenever i run the entire optimize client, and then restart, my computer is SOOO SLOW. then i run the disk utility permissions repairs, it finds a good 7-8 errors, and it runs back to normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.