Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
[COLOR="Red"]Invalid volume file count[/COLOR]
(It should be 891203 instead of 891210)
[COLOR="red"]Invalid volume directory count[/COLOR]
(It should be 222912 instead of 222905)
[COLOR="red"]The volume Jeff's Mac needs to be repaired.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.
[/COLOR]

What could have caused the above error? That's the log output for verifying my HDD through Disk Utility. I've been able to repair permissions before verifying.

I really just want to make Boot Camp work. But I only get as far as being asked to set partition size. The partitioning process doesn't finish and tells me to repair my disk. Ideas anyone?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try running a filesystem repair as follows:

(courtesy of D3v1L80Y's Basic Mac OS X Troubleshooting Guide)

File System Check - When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter.
When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
When finished with that type in exit and it will start the computer in normal mode

OP
J
Reaction score
I was able to boot into single user mode and got to follow your instructions. I did the filesystem check and it worked just fine. The program said that it was able to repair the inconsistencies on the drive.

Thing is, I still can't have Boot Camp partition the drive. This time, the error message says:

Code:
[B]The disk cannot be partitioned because
some files cannot be moved.[/B]

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a
single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore
your information to the disk and try using Boot
Camp Assistant again.

I'm still wondering what could have caused this. I got this to work once before. I remember deleting the partition though, because I ran out of space. But there wasn't anything to indicate that I did something wrong then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Could you have used Apple Partition Map choosing two (or more) partitions before formatting Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to this so I didn't know to do that, notwithstanding how. I will try researching how to do what you said and post as soon as I have results.

Do you think it's a good idea to do what the last error prompt said; to backup and reinstall OS X?

EDIT:

Oh, now I've read your post a third time around, I just realized that there's just one partition (as far as Disk Utility shows me). The one I successfully created back then was deleted and the space it consumed seemed to have been restored to the main partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.