Macbook won't read blank DVD-r ...

Reaction score
So i have a DVD-r that I'd like to burn stuff onto (the thing that I need to burn onto it requires a DVD-r and nothing else) but my mac won't read it.
My mac will read DVD-r's that have already been written on for some reason.
At first I heard it depends on the brand. I tried Maxell and it didn't work, then Verbatim, which also didn't work... even after I heard that Verbatim is the brand that would work.
I tried restarting the computer and seemed to try every option, but every time I insert the CD it gets spat out after 15 seconds. And in the time that the CD is in, the Mac does not even recognize it.

Please help!!!!!!!
Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you might have a bad drive, unfortunately.

Reaction score
I have thesame problem with my mac. I put the blank Verbatim DVD +R in, it spins a few times but the icon does not show on my desktop and then it spits it out. It reads all my other DVD movies just fine tho. Anyone know?

Reaction score
same problem

I had the same problem for my 2008 macbook pro. It was a bad drive from the factory and had to be replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.