Buying a Used iMac g5

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking about purchasing a used iMac g5 on Monday to replace my current desktop. I just wanted opinions before I get it (This would be my first Mac computer). Its OS X is 10.5.6 with a 1.83 gHz intel core 2 duo. with 2 GB 66.7 Mhz of ram. Plus a superdrive. The guy selling it is claiming its in Mint Condition (haven't seen it yet so I can't verify it) and that it runs like brand new, which I will be testing it out to make sure before I actually buy it. He emailed me today and said he will do a fresh install of the OS X for me, and also said he never had problems with the computer and that the re-install would guarentee no problems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a PC even if you re-install everything and restore to factory settings...some problems can't be fixed(slowness, etc etc)..wouldn't this be true with a Mac too?

I have a laptop I bought 4 months ago that I use on an everyday basis so I wouldn't be using this every single day but a good amount during the week for light web browsing, my ipod, ichat and running CS4. I'm not a serious graphic designer or anything, I just play around a lot, so I need CS4 to work very well but nothing too crazy.

I'm buying it for $550...do you guys think its worth it and that my programs will run okay in it? Any feedback you guys can give me is very very appriciated. Sorry for such a long post.

Melissa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,
I'm thinking about purchasing a used iMac g5 on Monday to replace my current desktop. I just wanted opinions before I get it (This would be my first Mac computer). Its OS X is 10.5.6 with a 1.83 gHz intel core 2 duo. with 2 GB 66.7 Mhz of ram.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a PC even if you re-install everything and restore to factory settings...some problems can't be fixed(slowness, etc etc)..wouldn't this be true with a Mac too?

I'm buying it for $550...do you guys think its worth it and that my programs will run okay in it? Any feedback you guys can give me is very very appriciated.

Melissa,

Four comments:

1. You've got some mixed terminology here. This computer cannot be both a G5 AND have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor! It's one or the other. A G5 Macintosh DOES NOT have an Intel processor in it.

2. In my opinion, Macs running OS X generally don't suffer from the "slowness" issues that plague 'Wintel" computers due to an "old" install of the OS. Unless the previous owner had a lot of programs that load & run in the background automatically on booting (you know...the sort of programs that can eat up a lot of system memory & processor time).

But all in all...a fresh install of the Mac OS should have it running as good as new.

3. You need to let us know what size monitor it has (17", 20", 24").

4. As far as the price...you need to let us know if it's a G5 iMac OR an Intel based iMac...in order to give you an opinion on the price.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Nick,
Thank you for your help. The monitor is a 17 inch monitor. And it's definitly an intel computer then, (I kind of just assumed they were the same thing since they looked the same..and you know what they say about people who assume LOL)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
Thank you for your help. The monitor is a 17 inch monitor. And it's definitly an intel computer then, (I kind of just assumed they were the same thing since they looked the same..and you know what they say about people who assume LOL)

Yes...the iMac's can look very similar (G5 vs Intel)...which can be confusing! Thanks for clearing that up.

But believe me, someone would be seriously disappointed if they were expecting to purchase an Intel based Macintosh, and ended up with a G5!!!

I'm not sure what your familiarity is with Macintosh computer's...or more specifically Apple iMac computers:

- but over the last 2.5 years or so...the iMac's came in either a White plastic housing, or an Aluminum metal housing. I personally prefer the Aluminum.
- the monitors came in 17", 20", or 24" sizes.
- and maximum ram was/is either 2, 4, or 8 gigs of ram.

For me there are two BIG drawbacks to the computer you're thinking of purchasing:

- it only has a maximum of 2 gigs of ram
- it has a 17" monitor

A max of 2 gigs of ram isn't terrible currently...but in 1-2 years it may be an issue. I would find the 17" monitor kind of small.

Bottom line...the iMac computer you're thinking of purchasing is not a bad computer (even with the 2 gig of ram max issue & the 17" monitor)...but personally I would not pay $550 for it.

I would offer the guy selling it $400, and maybe negotiate a final price of around $450. If the guy doesn't go for it...then I personally would walk away from the deal.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Nick, I offered the guy $450 and he declined. So its either $550 or no iMac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help Nick, I offered the guy $450 and he declined. So its either $550 or no iMac.

Melissa,

Here's a site that quotes used Macintosh values:

Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac & iPod - Evaluation - Argus Mac, iPod, iPhone Occasion

I don't really know how accurate it is...but it says that the iMac you're interested in is worth $580. So if it's accurate...then $550 would be a fair price.

But personally...my gut feeling says $550 is too much...or at least I know I could do better.

Recently (last 1-4 months) I have purchased a:

- 1.42ghz G4 Mac Mini for $125.00
- Refurbished "Aluminum" iMac with a 2.4ghz Core2duo, 20" monitor, 6 months left on the warranty for $750.
- Quad-core 2.66ghz MacPro with 3 gig of ram for $1050.

I think that if the iMac you're looking at had a bigger monitor it would be an ok price (the 1.83ghz only came in a 17")...but with the 17" monitor & the 2 gig of max ram limitation...I would say try & find one of the newer "Aluminum" iMacs.

Your call of course,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Nick,

Did you buy those off craigslist, website, or the apple refurbished site..because those are really a great deal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Did you buy those off craigslist, website, or the apple refurbished site..because those are really a great deal.

All three were off of Craig's List. I used to buy on e-Bay, but too many people there bidding things up too high past the real value.

The deals I got off Craig's List were a combination of patience, tough negotiation, and luck. And of course the big pluses are being able to see & try out the stuff before you buy, and no shipping or Paypal costs.

Within the last 3 days...someone was selling a 2.0 ghz MacBook for $400...that's $200-$350 less than you usually see them for! I would've REALLY liked to have purchased it...but I got no money at the moment!!! ; )

Good luck with your search/purchase,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Old Macs worth buying?

I have a slight problem and would love to have some opinions from all you well-versed mac people. (This is going to be slightly long so I apologize in advance)

I've been DYING for a mac, well not dying but i really want one. After coming up short on craigslist and ebay...I ordered a refurb from the apple site (20' aluminum..2.66 2 GB memory and 320 GB harddrive) it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. My problem is, I don't think I can really justify the purchase of $1,000 on a computer for the needs I have for it. I have a brand new laptop I got for xmas, which will still probably be my main computer since I can use it everywhere etc etc. I want an iMac to replace my desktop but just for little things like iTunes and Slight Graphic Design. And By Slight Graphic Design, I like to play around and design little things (nothing major as that is not my career, but I am looking into it for a possible freelance second job thing). and I've only been using Photoshop (would love to be able to run CS3 or CS4 bc I've heard they work absolutely wonderful with macs as opposed to PCs)

OKAY..Now for my point. Say I were to return my iMac and wait to buy an iMac off craigslist or something, do older models still run okay? I mean with a PC..once its old, its pretty much old and doesn't run for anything..is that the same thing with Macs? A lot of the ads on craigslist want about $500-$600 for 3-5 year old iMacs..is that really worth it? If its not going to run as new thats a lot of money for a used one, ya know?

Again, sorry for such a long thread but any opinions you guys have are appriciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB DDR SDRAM/(2) iPod 3gs 15&30GB/iPod Nano 4g 15GB/iPod Classic 6g 120GB
I have an older 17" iMac from either 2004 or 2005 and I love it. Can't say I wouldn't like a newer one. Buyers remorse sucks though.

One warning, once you turn it on... it will be hard as heck to let go of it. Your eyes will turn into saucers and glaze over.

OP
M
Reaction score
I know, thats why I'm trying to decide now what to do before it gets here. If an old one runs just as good as new one (granted it had a new osx install etc etc) then I will def have to return it...if not then I will be more than happy to rip that box open as soon as it gets delievered. lol

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While a 3 yr old iMac will run quite nicely; in no way, shape or fashion will it run as good as the new one you have coming. (Your eyes also won't glaze over quite the same as they will with that new one.)

While I'm willing to admit a 3-5 yr old Mac is worth more than a 3-5 yr old Win based box, I may be one of the few around here that feel those who are paying 60-70% for a 3 yr old machine and 40-50% on a 5 yr old machine are being ripped off - don't care if it is an Apple.

Now, as to whether the purchase of a desktop when you have a new notebook is worthwhile for your use - only you can answer that one.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
While I'm willing to admit a 3-5 yr old Mac is worth more than a 3-5 yr old Win based box. I may be one of the few around here that feel those who are paying 60-70% for a 3 yr old machine and 40-50% on a 5 yr old machine are being ripped off - don't care if it is an Apple.
I'm with you on that one.

My guess is that if you just got a new laptop, it's probably a pretty good machine. If I were in your position and had the money to spend, I would simply buy a nice monitor, bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use my laptop like a desktop when at home.

It sounds as if you're buying a Mac just to say you own a Mac. In that case, I wouldn't buy one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
I do my daily computing on 3 year old Macs, and I have no complaints. They work well if you just do websurfing, music, email and the like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.