Downloading high res photos

Reaction score
Is there ANY software that will download high res photos from my camera to my Mac.?? (camera is a Fuji F30, which I love). iPhoto downloads only at 72dpi, as does the software that came with my camera. Been looking online, but am very frustrated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Photos

you dont have to use iPhoto automatically when you connect your camera, change it in prefs
Then just drag the folder from the disc image to your desktop

OP
O
Reaction score
you dont have to use iPhoto automatically when you connect your camera, change it in prefs
Then just drag the folder from the disc image to your desktop

Unfortunately when my camera connects it doesn't produce a disk image for whatever reason. I did change the iPhoto preferences earlier and have tried other software to no avail. However I guess I could get a card reader and download directly from the card?

Can you tell me--does Photoshop change an image to 72dpi when it opens it? Someone somewhere ;-) said most imaging software did.

Thanks!

Reaction score
You could get a card reader, or you could see what happens when you launch the "Image Capture" application with your camera plugged in. Canon's dont show up as disks when you plug them in either, you have to use software to get the images off. Very annoying.

OP
O
Reaction score
You could get a card reader, or you could see what happens when you launch the "Image Capture" application with your camera plugged in. Canon's dont show up as disks when you plug them in either, you have to use software to get the images off. Very annoying.

Unfortunately my Image Capture says it is damaged or incomplete. :p I can't find anywhere on the Apple site to download it again, sigh. (I have Tiger) If I use my original disk, the only option seems to be to install ALL the software, which would, of course, end up with my having outdated software apps. So the picture card reader it is. Thanks!

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there is a way to only re-install certain apps from the restore disks. Unfortunately I can't remember off the top of my head. A little googling should be able to tell you how to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Can you tell me--does Photoshop change an image to 72dpi when it opens it? Someone somewhere ;-) said most imaging software did.

Thanks!

Photoshop opens the image in the resolution it was recorded by the camera as. My Canon 400D records the image at 240dpi. In photoshop you can change the resolution if you need to. I'm not aware of a way to do it in iPhoto, but here's how you do it in Photoshop:
Image > Image Size > change Resolution and make sure "Resample Image" is unchecked.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks all! I really appreciate the quick and very helpful responses! :)

Reaction score
When shooting jpg photo format the output from the camera is 72dpi and a very large photo (typically 60"x40"). To prepare for printing, edit in Adobe Photoshop. Select the crop size to print and check the crop setting is WxHxR, not ratio. IMPORTANT! Leave the resolution field blank. Adobe Photoshop will automatically crop the photo to your desired print size and resample the image to a higher resolution based on available image data. You should find the cropped photo is no longer 72dpi but in the range 150-350dpi. Photoshop has optimised your snap to its best available resolution. Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
You seem to be missing the point here. iPhoto store the photograph exactly as the camera recorded it. The important part is not dpi but number of pixels. If you camera records, for example, 4000 X 3000 pixels that is exactly what iPhoto stores. If you shoot jpg it stores jpg, if you shoot RAW it store RAW. iPhoto does not change or reduce the quality in any way.

DPI only becomes relevant when the photo is viewed or printed so, an example with an over simplification, if your camera produces 4000 dots horizontal and your printer can resolve (print) 100 dots per inch horizontal you could print a picture with a width of 4000 / 100 = 40 inches wide before losing resolution. If you had a printer (never seen one) capable of 1000 dots per inch then 4000 /1000 = 4 inches so you would get an amazingly sharp picture but only at 4 inches wide.

When your computer screen shows a picture its size is defined by the resolution of the sceen so if the screen resolves 74 pixels/dots and each dot in the picture = one screen dot a 4000 dot picture will show on screen 53.3 inches wide. If the screen resolves 96 dots it will be 41.6 inches wide. In practice programs such as iPhoto will show it on whatever screen real estate is available but they are just designed for viewing and basic quality control. True editing software such as Photoshop allows you to zoom into individual pixels to edit them if needed but iPhoto still stores the full sized image and the ability of photoshop or similar to edit is the same whether the shot is dragged to the desktop from the original SD or imported into iPhoto.

Reaction score
You seem to be missing the point here. iPhoto store the photograph exactly as the camera recorded it. ...

I agree with you on what happens in iPhoto when an import takes place. Andy Clift, I think the point is that this is a four year old thread and anyone finding it on a search will be seeking a short, sharp and practical solution.

I am the owner of a photography business that sells $250, 000.00 in portraiture a year, processes 1,500 images a week and prints through a Pro-Lab.

The images will import as 72 dpi and that is OK. To prepare for print the crop tool in Adobe Photoshop will prepare the files effectively. Cropping to the size required will show the final resolution property for print. It is however important to use the recommended crop settings. i.e. WxHxResolution and leave the resolution field blank.

It is important to always work within the guidelines recommended by the Lab that prints your photos. They do vary depending on the processing system being used.

C

chas_m

Just to clarify for future readers of this old thread:

iPhoto, Lightroom, Aperture, Image Capture and *any other* program that imports photos DOES NOT resize them, it imports them at the resolution they were shot at unless otherwise specified. That's what the OP misunderstood.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.