mac mini as primary computer

Reaction score
All these years I have been using an old Dell computer with a Pentium 4 2.2ghz processor. I want to buy a Mac Mini to replace it. Is the new Mac mini powerful enough to serve as a primary computer. I am not really interested in gaming. Plus is it powerful to run 3d CAD? The new mac mini has a 2 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor.

Plus, how do compare the "power" of different graphics cards. Is a the mini's processor a significant increase in speed over the Pentium 4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.
I don't know if it will run a CAD program - have you looked to see if the software has hardware requirements?

As for the video card, a 9400M is not to bad - compared to the Intel GMA that they had on the mini before and probably faster than your Dell P4. It should be at least 2x faster than what the Intel GMA was (I think I've seen 4x in some reviews).

On the processor side - yes it is a LOT faster than the P4 2.2. The P4 you had is a single core...the Mac Mini will be a Core 2 Duo - much much faster. Go to an apple store a look - it will be a great replacement for what you have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.