Evicting MSN and Hotmail from a Macbook.

Reaction score
Now my cousin who lives 200 miles away is a rare person who has never used a keyboard or a computer before !

After many years suggesting its a good idea he bought a Macbook.

Now he has no jargon or understanding of what a 'window' is etc...

The person from the supplier who set it up for him thought it would be helpful for it to wake up in MSN and Hotmail. Words fail me as IMHO are a low point in Microsoft's dire applications.

How does he delete these applications permanently ? Never to re-appear.

He has not found 'Google' yet but can wake up Firefox. So this is very close to 'Day 0' of his Computing experience.

Very simple instructions only please.

(And no he can't get the person who did this back.)

Any thoughts very very very much appreciated.

:D :D :D :D

Tim

PS he will be joining this Forum, I'm sure !

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That guy would never touch one of my (or anyone elses) computers if I had anything to say about it.

The supplier should not have opened it and done anything to it. My guess is that your cousin also doesn't like the name on his account / home folder either. Did this guy setup an admin password and did he give it to your cousin?

Am "assuming" you know your way around OS X. Think the first thing I would do is take this machine back to the beginning. Easy way without a re-install is going to be setting up a new account, with the name he wants to use, with a new password (make sure he knows to pick something he will not forget), make it an admin account, log out and back in (in the new account), go back into Accounts and delete the one that guy set up.

If there is an Apple store near him, I would suggest that he sign up for their $99 a year, free one-on-ones.

Before anyone here suggests much of anything, really need to know what Mac he has and what version of OS X is on the machine.

OP
T
Reaction score
That guy would never touch one of my (or anyone elses) computers if I had anything to say about it.

The supplier should not have opened it and done anything to it. My guess is that your cousin also doesn't like the name on his account / home folder either. Did this guy setup an admin password and did he give it to your cousin?

Am "assuming" you know your way around OS X. Think the first thing I would do is take this machine back to the beginning. Easy way without a re-install is going to be setting up a new account, with the name he wants to use, with a new password (make sure he knows to pick something he will not forget), make it an admin account, log out and back in (in the new account), go back into Accounts and delete the one that guy set up.

If there is an Apple store near him, I would suggest that he sign up for their $99 a year, free one-on-ones.

Before anyone here suggests much of anything, really need to know what Mac he has and what version of OS X is on the machine.

Its brand new and running Lepoard.

We are in the UK.

Unfortunately, his Yahoo email account is working and in his Bookmarks.

Its about the only thing he know how to use, so can't do a wipe, also his Broadband settings work fine.

So back to square 1.

Many thanks for the response.

: )

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Just to clarity

Has the set up guy set up the mac so that on logging in MSN Messenger starts and a browser opens up with Hotmail as its default page

OP
T
Reaction score
Just to clarity

Has the set up guy set up the mac so that on logging in MSN Messenger starts and a browser opens up with Hotmail as its default page

I think so. That sounds exactly how he described it.

I can't ask until Tuesday when he gets back from a trip.

Many thanks for responding.

:D :D :D :D

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Just remove any apps from the login items that he doesn't want starting when his computer starts (be clicking on the app in the login item window and hitting delete):
System Preference -> Accounts -> Login Items

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its OK, it's dealt with

The guy called me and I went through how to do it. He's going to go through it with his cousin. He has my number if they need any extra help.

OP
T
Reaction score
Its OK, it's dealt with

The guy called me and I went through how to do it. He's going to go through it with his cousin. He has my number if they need any extra help.

And many many thanks to Louis and all those who have responded.

I'm sure my Cousin will be joining this most helpful Forum !

:D :D :D :D :D

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.