Screen Calibration Issue HELP!

Reaction score
Hi all, wonder if someone can help/advise please.

I use my mac for design for print. However it drives me nuts (sometimes) that I have to use experience and also take lots of sampling in photoshop using the eyedropper & info of images to colour correct them. So when they print on a press in CMYK they look how someone wants them to look, not as they do on screen.

Wonder if there is a way I can calibrate my screen so it looks more or even a bit more like how an image will look in cmyk on press.

I did try and use the adjustments in the preferences on my mac, but wow its more like guesswork!

I'm working on a PowerBook G4 15" running OSX 10.3.9

Really hope someone can help

Many kind thanks in advance

Kind regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its a very dark art, calibration, sometimes I am not sure I understand it all myself

The following link shows you how to use the built in preference calibration pane
Color Calibration in OS X | 32packets

THere seems to be a debate on whether the target gamma should be 1.8 or 2.2. I would say that 1.8 is better for print, while some photograthers prefer 2.2, which is also better for web work.

THere is also a link here to another calibration app that seems to get favourable reviews, in fact I am going to give it a go myself

SuperCal™ by bergdesign

Apart from that the best way is to use a hardware calibration device

Spyder2express - Datacolor AG, Europe (Zurich, Switzerland)

Other than that you should make sure that Photoshop uses sRGB for RGB images and US Web Coated for CMYK images, unless your printer specifies a different CMYK profile

You should be able to get reasonably close to a printing press's colors, at least you shouldn't be getting to many nasty surprises when you see the printed product

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.