upgrading CPU of mac mini

Reaction score
hey, so i want to buy the new mac mini but i want to upgrade its processor
i want to install a 2.8ghz core 2 duo processor
1. is this possible?
2. also, will this cause the mini to overheat?
3. if it will cause overheating, is there any way to cool the system down(like laptop coolers)?

thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Umm not possible with the new 2009 models. The CPU is soldered. T_T" You could upgrade on the older versions.

Found a guide on it here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Search google. I have so far seen nothing on whether the new Minis with the nVidia Chipset have a Socketed CPU like the Older Intel Chipset ones did or not.

A 2.8 if it does still use a socket would almost for sure cause overheating. The MINI is so small inside. I would not want to go up that high even if I could in that small a case. Also you void any warranty if you try to put in another CPU. Not really worth it.

I did put a 2.16 C2D from the last gen white iMac, in my older Intel Mini after the warranty was over. When running 100% CPU the temps do shoot up quite high but I use SMC Fan Control and keep it down.

Edit: CrimsonRequiem, thanks for that. I was wondering and now I know! :D Are you 100% sure on the no socket?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Aye I'm sure that it's not socketed anymore.

Proof here and here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Aye I'm sure that it's not socketed anymore.

Proof here and here.

I had not really looked till you mentioned it. Found those same URL's while you were posting! :D

Thanks again as I have been asked many times now and know what to tell people!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.