iMac stopped working tonight

Reaction score
Here is my system:

24" iMac

Processor 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
Graphics Memory NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256
Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA Drive
Optical Drive SuperDrive 8X (DVDR-DL/CD-RW)
Modem None
Apple Software Solutions Aperture
MAC OS Language Kybd, Mighty Mse & Mac OS X
Country Kit Country Kit

I bought it in Novermber 2006.

Tonight I logged into World of Warcraft and I started having issues. It looked to be graphics related but heck if I know for sure.

I tried rebooting several times and also unplugging it. Everytime it boots up I end up at a screen saying "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the restart button."

I do that but I keep coming up to the same screen.

My other computers are working fine but I did reboot my internet to make sure.

Yes, I keep it updated.

Any suggestions? I'll be happy to provide any info I can.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
See if you can boot up using the restore disk.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
See if you can boot up using the restore disk.

Excellent suggestion. If it boots all the way with the restore DVD it could be OSX that is messed up.

What you have there is a Kernel Panic. It can be caused by Hardware but also Software sometimes.

OP
K
Reaction score
Upon further review, I don't have a restore disk. I looked thru my folder and just have install disks (2 of them). Plus my disk for Aperture.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Upon further review, I don't have a restore disk. I looked thru my folder and just have install disks (2 of them). Plus my disk for Aperture.

You put in DVD #1. Those are sometimes called Restore DVD's.

Also press the power and insert the DVD. If you have to power up again and hold down C right after the startup sound.

OP
K
Reaction score
You put in DVD #1. Those are sometimes called Restore DVD's.

Also press the power and insert the DVD. If you have to power up again and hold down C right after the startup sound.
I tried that. I hear the dvd doing something but I keep coming back to the "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the restart button."

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That does not sound good. Do you have any aftermarket RAM in the iMac or is it the RAM that shipped with the iMac?

OP
K
Reaction score
The iMac is the same as the day I got it. Except I use Firefox instead of Safari.

When holding the C key after hitting the power button, I hear the dvd spinning and such. I have the white screen. Then I get a horizontal line falling from top to bottom changing the screen to grey and then when I get the "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the restart button." message again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as getting the DVD out, try booting with the left mouse button held down. Keep it down and the DVD should eject unless that Panic happens first.

Not sure at this point what is causing your issue. If it's truly booting from the DVD and still getting the Kernel Panic it's got to be a hardware issue. Do you have any other RAM you could try since that is very easy to do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.