Resetting Password for OS X 10.4.10

Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post here, a little nervous:Oops:

First off,please bare with me for I am 100% new to Macs and 100% lost, 99% of the time:Grimmace: I recently got my first Mac second hand, and like so many others, I need help resetting the password. I found what seemed like simple instructions to do so on askdavetaylor.com; thought it would be simple but ended up more confused than I was when I began.

I got the Mac OS X Install discs, put in disc one and restarted the computer from the CD. I only planned on resetting the password. But when the computer restarted, I was taken to a screen that says that I need to restart the computer by either holding down the power key for a couple seconds or pressing the restart key. Every time I restart, this is the only screen I get.

I didn't even make it past step two, lol

I haven't the slightest idea of what to do or what I've done?!?!?! Please help, I was so excited to get started with my powerbook=( and now Im here on my hands & knees....

Much Appreciated,
Mac Rookie

Reaction score
Sounds like a kernel panic...is your install disc in good condition?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmmm, there's a bunch of text that shows up in the left side of the screen, overlapping the box that says to restart. It starts out with "Panic_" in the top left corner...

I bought the install discs on Ebay, they look brand new but who knows if they could somehow be faulty. What does it mean, what can I do...
I haven't ruined my powerbook have I?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What color is the label on the install media?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Rman. What color are the CD/DVD's and what do they say on them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You need the full retail install DVD for Tiger. Make sure you purchase the black coloured disc. Silver grey discs are system restore, and sadly some unscrupulous dealers on eBay and such sell them with all types of promises.

System restore discs com e with blockers and will work only with the model machine they were released with.

This problem causes a great many posts. Maybe we need a tutorial on purchasing Operating Systems?

Reaction score
It's a shame the OP has some crappy discs. Fortunately, it's possible to change the password in Single User Mode:

1. Hold Down Apple+S while booting computer
2. Type: sh /etc/rc
3. Type: passwd root (if that doesn’t work try admin or administrator instead of root)
4. Enter in new password and confirm
5. Type: reboot

OP
S
Reaction score
Will do, thanks so much for the advice, I'll give it a shot. And yes, negative feedback here I come....=)

OP
S
Reaction score
I've reached the screen with white text, so getting to single user mode was easy. However, its not letting me type anything in? Im actually not too concerned with the password at this point, I just want to get the computer back to normal so I can get that install disc out. Any other suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.