• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Happy birthday steve jobs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
today hes fifty! some info:
Its so hard to believe he's that old. some info:
Steven Paul Jobs (born February 24, 1955) is best known as the co-founder (with Steve Wozniak) and CEO of Apple Computer, and somewhat less so for his leadership of Pixar. He is also regarded as a pioneer in computing for the incredibly successful Apple II computer, and also for seeing the commercial potential of the GUI and mouse in a Xerox PARC demonstration and leading Apple Computer to unleash the successful and very influential Apple Macintosh.
In 1972, Jobs graduated from Homestead High School in Cupertino, California and enrolled in Reed College in Portland, Oregon, but he dropped out after one semester. In 1976 Jobs and his friend Steve Wozniak founded Apple Computer, which became a significant player in the personal computer industry with the highly successful Apple II and Apple Macintosh. Jobs was perhaps the most famous person in the personal computer industry to the general public. In 1985 Jobs left Apple and founded NeXT Computer. In 1986 Jobs purchased Pixar from LucasFilm, which later became famous for a series of highly successful computer animation feature movies. In 1997 Jobs returned to Apple, which was in a failing condition, and turned the fortune of the company around beginning with the introduction of the iMac.

Jobs' first daughter, Lisa, was born in 1978. Jobs married Laurene Powell in 1991 with whom he has three children. She is not the mother of Lisa.

On July 31, 2004 Jobs underwent a surgical operation to remove a cancerous tumor in his pancreas. He had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor. He spent the following August recovering, though he stated he would not require chemotherapy or radiation therapy. Tim Cook, head of worldwide sales and operations at Apple, ran the company during his absence. Notably, in his email to staff at Apple informing them of his operation, Jobs managed to find time to note that he had sent his email via a 17-inch PowerBook using AirPort Express.
180px-Steve-jobs.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Fifty! Wow.

I've read a lot of old articles that talked about Steve (and Woz, of course) back when they were "kids" tinkering in the garage. Seems so...weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Happy birthday Steve! Rock on! The OS in personal computing history + the ultimate compact Mac (Mini) Does it get better? Yup, but it all already has such a little known lead! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Happy Birthday Steve. My Bday is the same day Steve Jobs is. I was also born in the Silicon Valley. When I first found out I freeked out. Never knew till one day when I read his autobiography.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
hmph...my birthday is today as well

S

spencerb

Collect 60 people in a room, and it is a statistical 100% certainty that at least two will have the same birthday. Not necessarily today or a certain day, but the same day nonetheless.

I keep thinking of Jobs and Gates and all those guys in the early days. What I would give to go back in time and tinker in their garages with them! Better yet, go back to 1985 with a G4 PowerBook and watch Jobs' jaw drop as he sees the future... then I'd have to zap him with a light pen thingy to erace his memory so the future wouldn't be screwed up. But I wouldn't mind going back to 1976 and telling Jobs "beware of Microsoft!"

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Id go back in time and make it so bill gates never starts M$.:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Macman said:
Id go back in time and make it so bill gates never starts M$.:mac:

why would that be good? When what would we compare mac to? you really think if M$ was not around and it was only mac we would have nearly as user friendly computers and OS? besides People forget apple is a hardware company which makes software to sell it.. Which is why the iPod is such a huge thing in the PC world. I saw a thread awhile back complaining that apple made the iPod USB 2.0 and FW optional... this is because they want to sell more iPods and the PC world is larger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
spencerb said:
Collect 60 people in a room, and it is a statistical 100% certainty that at least two will have the same birthday. Not necessarily today or a certain day, but the same day nonetheless.

not exactly 100% probable:

set A to "no one in group has same birthday"
set Ac to "at least 2 people have same bday"

P(A) = 365!/[(365-60)!(365^60)] = .5877%

so the not probability of A, or Ac = 1-P(A) = 99.4%

easy to find minimum for 100% probability, replace 60 with a variable, x, and solve for x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah but birthdays aren't random either.

look for those 9months after Holidays and major events, or cold weather. :D

B

bhanson

MacAddikt said:
not exactly 100% probable:

set A to "no one in group has same birthday"
set Ac to "at least 2 people have same bday"

P(A) = 365!/[(365-60)!(365^60)] = .5877%

so the not probability of A, or Ac = 1-P(A) = 99.4%

easy to find minimum for 100% probability, replace 60 with a variable, x, and solve for x.

That problem produces an overflow error on my TI-84. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bill is richer.

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
monetarily, yes, but in no other way. and steve is smarter.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I could easily retire on Steve Jobs $$$ and live happily every after. I could do that on 1/2 Jobs $$$.

Gates has too much $$$ for any one person. So does Balmer.

M

markceltic

dtravis7 said:
I could easily retire on Steve Jobs $$$ and live happily every after. I could do that on 1/2 Jobs $$$.

Gates has too much $$$ for any one person. So does Balmer.
Believe me Balmer needs all the help he can get, without his bucks he's screwed for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Macman said:
monetarily, yes, but in no other way. and steve is smarter.

How could you possibly make those estimations? Really, do you know anything about either ones IQ or quality of life? Silly ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
markceltic said:
Believe me Balmer needs all the help he can get, without his bucks he's screwed for sure.

Yeah but Balmer could get a job doing his Monkey Dance and his Developers RAP !! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.