creating short cuts? like on windoze

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
is it possible to create short cuts like windoze on osx?

thx

Reaction score
Yes, they are called aliases. You can make them like this:

Click once on the file/folder/application that you want to make a short cut to. Go to the finder and click on 'File' in the menu then go down to 'Make Alias'. Drag the Alias that you have just made where ever you like.

You can also drag things into the dock to make shortcuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
pkny said:
is it possible to create short cuts like windoze on ??

thx

Yes, there are two options. If you want the "shortcut" to be located in the Dock (the bar with the icons at the bottom of the screen), all you need to do is click on the application and drag it into the Dock. If you want to create the "shortcut" somewhere else (like on the desktop), simply click on the application, go to the the Menu bar at the top, and select File -> Make Alias. Once the alias is made, you can drag or cut/paste it anywhere you'd like. You can also use Command L to make the alias once you've selected the application.

LOL - You beat me to it, Bobbins. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
not in os x, you need a 3rd party app, Spark
is the best to date, its really cool, works with applescripts, app controls like itunes, etc.any key combo you want!:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yes they are called alias's

Ctrl Click and Make Alias

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Yes, but they are called Aliases Look for the options on the context menu (control click or right click) Lots of different ways to do it too, check help (command ? or menu)
Dragging any file / program from the finder to the dock (near the trash can) will make an alias there. Drag the whole applications folder there and make yourself a windows type start menu if you want too.
The Help in Mac is well written and worth reading.
Have fun

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Aliases are a bit different from shortcuts, but they're close enough for me. I just use dock icons anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Meyvn said:
Aliases are a bit different from shortcuts, but they're close enough for me. I just use dock icons anyway.

Really? How are they different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I suggest you all try spark. aliases are good, but spark is a whole other level.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Macman said:
not in os x, you need a 3rd party app, Spark
is the best to date, its really cool, works with applescripts, app controls like itunes, etc.any key combo you want!:mac:

Thanks for the tip. Downloading it as I type this!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Opps, sorry for the dupe. Thought it did not send.

Reaction score
Well if you're gonna "alias-ize" programs, you might want to consider downloading Quicksilver if you don't already have it.

Basically Quicksilver is an application that you can have automatically startup when you turn your mac on. It stays minimized either in the Dock or the Toolbar (I think that's what it's called) depending on your preferences. At any moment you can access Quicksilver by pressing Command SPACE, and a small rounded box will appear (you can change it's appearance). You then type the first two or three letters of the program (or file) you want opened, and it'll automatically display the program you want in icon form, and you open it from there. The program automatically hides when you either click on any window or the desktop (essentially anywhere), or after you finish opening a program using it. The interface is somewhat transparent, but you can change that to your liking...

I'm sure someone else can give you a better explanation

Here's a link in case you're interested:
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.