• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

has anyone tried Final Cut Studio 2?

Reaction score
I'm definitely wanting this but for $1200, I really need more real life 'proof' of the features offered. Has anyone used this? If yes, what's your opinion of the features? If you have a before/after clip you can share, that would be really awesome!

Reaction score
Final Cut Studio 2 is a really awesome tool. The truth is that a before/after doesn't represent the features. Since it is a professional tool, it takes time to master it, and one persons results can not accurately show you what you can do with it, as you must build these skills. I suggest you watch the Final Cut Pro 6 quick tour to learn about it. http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/a...finalcutpro_quicktour_20080408_r640-10cie.mov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Also note that some people are expecting Apple to release a new version, likely FCS3, perhaps at the NAB show in just over a week.

OP
I
Reaction score
thank you for the link

Final Cut Studio 2 is a really awesome tool. The truth is that a before/after doesn't represent the features. Since it is a professional tool, it takes time to master it, and one persons results can not accurately show you what you can do with it, as you must build these skills. I suggest you watch the Final Cut Pro 6 quick tour to learn about it. http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/a...finalcutpro_quicktour_20080408_r640-10cie.mov

Thanks for the link to the tour! As with any took I'm definitely mindful that I'll need to be patient before learning how all the buttons work - so to speak. :D

OP
I
Reaction score
Also note that some people are expecting Apple to release a new version, likely FCS3, perhaps at the NAB show in just over a week.

I'm glad I haven't purchased it yet! My head is spinning from poring over a product to see if it'll be good then by the time I finally decide.... there's a better/newer one out! :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Would you happen to have a college nearby?

Just a suggestion but, some colleges allow people to visit and that could be one of your visitations. Just a suggestion. =p

We have about 10 Mac Pro's on my campus and they're equipped with the latest Final Cut Studio. I just finished a 15 minute clip with it but really couldn't tell you the difference as I've never used an older version. =(

Goodluck though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I use Final Cut Studio quite a bit for work. FCP itself is the central app, but I also use Compressor to export to different formats and DVD Studio Pro to put together my demo reels.

I have used some of the sound effects in Soundtrack Pro but haven't used it to master a soundtrack yet. I've toyed around with Motion 3 and it's very powerful. Color confuses me because I'm not that into color grading, but I'm sure I'll learn it eventually.

All the apps are designed to work together, so you can send your FCP project to any of the others to complete them, then send them back into FCP. I'm actually just got my Level 1 FCP certification and I'm hoping to get a Master certification (FCP Level 2 plus certification in 3 other FCS apps).

If you're a student, you might be able to get FCS3 for cheap. I got my academic copy for 530 bucks, way cheaper than 1200. You can also find academic copies on Amazon.com, the only thing is that academic versions are not eligible for upgrades. But it's such a great suite of apps, it will be useful for some time to come.

Reaction score
Bear in mind that Final Cut Pro now owns 51% of the "professional post-production market", TV shows are switching to FCP left and right, most broadcast stations have, or are in process of switching to FCP, and Disney instituted a new policy a few months ago in that all "entry level" editing positions require a Level 1 pro user certification in Final Cut Pro.

As for Final Cut Studio 3, you won't see it until after Snow Leopard ships. It'll be very heavily dependent on the new technologies in Snow Leopard.

Apple doesn't do NAB anymore, hasn't for two years now, hasn't made any NAB announcement in two years. It's much cheaper to do it on-line, and you get the same exposure without spending literally millions of dollars for those huge NAB booths.

My guess, and it's only a guess, look for FCS3 October or later. Not until after Snow Leopard starts to "ship". Let's hope we found out with SL ships Monday, June 8th, with the WWDC keynote.

As for Academic version, no you can't buy an "upgrade" version for it, BUT, you buy a "new" Academic version of the new upgrade for the same price as the upgrade version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Sorry, I meant you can find FCS2 for cheap, not 3!

At any rate, I can see why FCP is becoming the industry standard, it's extremely powerful. I can't wait to start messing around with green screen and compositing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.