Glossy Screens

Reaction score
I have avoided purchasing a new unibody model macbook pro for reasons of their "no button" trackpad. I have also seen these models in the store and the glare is terrible on the glossy display. I'm thinking of buying the previous generation 08' model. Are the glossy displays on the 08' models just as bad? I was also thinking of going with the matte version but I also didn't want to lose color quality. any help?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a glossy early 08 model. I have also seen the current generation and as far as I'm concerned, the display on the newer machines is significantly more glare prone as it uses a glass panel to achieve the glossy effect (as opposed to a glossy plastic LCD panel).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you purchase the high end MBP 17" model, as an option (extra $50) you can order the anti-glare screen. It would be nice if the same option were offered for the 15" MBP and even the MacBook. Perhaps it will be on the next generation of machines.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I think I might go for the older glossy version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.