folder locked but won't unlock

A

Ahalel

Someone please help.... I have a folder from my digital camera that was locked for some strange reason. I can't get it unlocked and for that matter can't delete it because it is locked. on my "get info" the lock box is checked but is grayed out. in the actual folder, all the files are hidden so i can't access anything. i see the folder but no files. thanks to whoever helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Try repairing permissions (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility)

Reaction score
Also try going to the 'get info' again and look at the 'Ownership & permissions' tab. Click on the lock symbol, enter your admin pass and then change the details (click arrow tab to open) so that you are the owner and that you have 'Read & write' permission. Then click on the apply to enclosed items. Now you should be able to look at and delete the files. If not then do the same for the individual files inside the folder.

OP
A

Ahalel

doesn't work

I did both things you guys said. When i go to "get info" the check box in general that says "lock" is checked and grayed. if i can get this thing unlocked, then i can delete this thing...but i can't get it unlocked!!! thanks for your help thus far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Open the Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and type "sudo rm -f<space>" and then drag the folder into the Terminal window. Switch back to the terminal and hit return (without typing anything else) to confirm.

OP
A

Ahalel

trpnmonkey41 said:
Open the Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and type "sudo rm -f<space>" and then drag the folder into the Terminal window. Switch back to the terminal and hit return (without typing anything else) to confirm.

thanks...it worked!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.