ibook g4 1ghz restore ???

D

deeps_10

hi i have the g4 ibook 1ghz 14" with 30gb hd. I got this off my mate and have been using it fine. I now want to reinstall the system and he had no restore cd's. So what happens now?

Do I just go down to the apple store and buy the cd's for the ibook which I don't mind doing but how will this cost me on average?

Also the laptop is in his name do I need to get some updates from the web once I have install the computer and so therefore change the details into my name?

or will the laptop function fine without any updates?

Or like a pc can i update the OS without having the hassle of transferring the details into my name?

all you help would be great as I am a new user to macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
They probably will not have the restore cd's for sale but you can just buy Panther to do a reinstall of the sysem and this will allow you to put everything in your name

OP
D

deeps_10

trpnmonkey41 said:
They probably will not have the restore cd's for sale but you can just buy Panther to do a reinstall of the sysem and this will allow you to put everything in your name

ok that sounds good how much will panther cost? How does registration work. Is it the ibook that I register i.e. the serial or am I registering panther itself. sorry if its a stupid question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
£99

You can wait until this summer for when Tiger comes out so you don't have to shell out another £99 for that.

You probably will not have to register the laptop since it is most likely out of warranty by now. Panther will automatically register if you are connected when you go through the installation

OP
D

deeps_10

trpnmonkey41 said:
£99

You can wait until this summer for when Tiger comes out so you don't have to shell out another £99 for that.

You probably will not have to register the laptop since it is most likely out of warranty by now. Panther will automatically register if you are connected when you go through the installation

thanks a lot guys you have been a lot of help much appreciated

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.