upgrade one step at a time?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook with OS 10.5. I know I need to upgrade, but can I go direct to 10.6 with a downloaded upgrade? Or do I need to go step by step? ie, upgrade to 10.5.1, then 10.5.2, etc.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
No, you don't have to go step by step. Just go to Software Update, and I'm pretty sure they have whats called a "combo" update. It will take care of everything.

OP
F
Reaction score
Upgrade one step at a time

No, you don't have to go step by step. Just go to Software Update, and I'm pretty sure they have whats called a "combo" update. It will take care of everything.

I tried to do that last night. Spent 2 hours downloading upgrade, and then when I tried to install, my computer got stuck at 'configuring.'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it you mean OS X.5.6 as X.6 Snow Leopard is yet to be released.

If you are after the X.5.6 upgrade download the combo updater from here.

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Combo Update

It is a pretty big download.

OP
F
Reaction score
Take it you mean OS X.5.6 as X.6 Snow Leopard is yet to be released.

If you are after the X.5.6 upgrade download the combo updater from here.

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Combo Update

It is a pretty big download.

Right, sorry 5.6 - and that's what I'm having trouble with. I tried the combo download and it didnt' work. Is there any reason why I can't go one step at a time? I'm thinking maybe smaller updates will be easier?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the combo updater will not work, which is unusual, by all means clean install X.5, then X.5.1 etc. One question did you install Leopard by the upgraqde option, which does seem to bring problems with it compared to a clean install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Are you downloading via wireless internet? If so, try a hardwire and see if it works. I ran into this problem when I first bought my macbook, and using a hardwired connection seemed to solve it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.