Macbook Corrosion?

Reaction score
I took my Macbook to the Apple Store for a faulty Bluetooth module, and they say it was caused by corrosion on the module itself. Now this makes sense because about four months ago, I was washing my Macbook with a sponge and water got in there; that was about the time the bluetooth stopped working. My macbook also exhibited very weird things immediately after that. Since then, the only casualty has been the bluetooth module.

Now, they weren't going to replace the module at first without a $130 dollar fee, but after contacting them, they agreed to half that. They also said that the motherboard had some corrosion on it as well even though it works fine.

My question is... is there anyway this corrosion that is on the motherboard could cause further problems down the road? The repairman stated that the repair could easily cost $1000 and I haven't purchased applecare yet. I haven't had any problems since, but I'm still concerned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MacBook Pro 2.93 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2x2GB, 256GB SSD
things can rust even without being really wet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
This could easily cause problems down the road. You should be concerned. As a rule, water and electronics don't mix. I'd shy away from using a sponge to clean it. I don't know if Applecare will cover you, since your problems are pretty much self inflicted. Best advice I can give is to back everything up, now. Eventually, you will have problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MacBook Pro 2.93 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2x2GB, 256GB SSD
I dont think he seriously washed his computer. If he did he needs more help than anyone here can give him...

OP
L
Reaction score
Er, yeah, I don' really mean WASH. i was just scrubbing some of the green mold crap off the case, and some leaked through the vents in the top. It wasn't an enormous amount of water that got in there, but I guess it was sufficiently enough to cause some corrosion on the board.

Will the corrosion spread? I mean, the laptop has been fine for about 4 months and I wouldn't have known about it unless they had told me.

Reaction score
i dont want to be mean but you deserve what you got. I wouldnt take anything as damp as a sponge near my computer... I have and will use wet wipes made for that purpose. Why on earth would you have green mould on the case.... poor guy where on earth do you live... hobbit land?

ok ok so for other who are tempted to try their fate I always say be very careful when it comes to moisture. alcohol based wipes or wipes made for cleaning comps

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sigh.

Does corrosion spread? I didn't ask for a lecture.

Without exposure to more moisture, it shouldn't. But I wouldn't purchase AppleCare at this point, because if something does fail, they're likely to look at the motherboard and try to tie it to the existing corrosion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i dont want to be mean but you deserve what you got. I wouldnt take anything as damp as a sponge near my computer... I have and will use wet wipes made for that purpose. Why on earth would you have green mould on the case.... poor guy where on earth do you live... hobbit land?

ok ok so for other who are tempted to try their fate I always say be very careful when it comes to moisture. alcohol based wipes or wipes made for cleaning comps

Didn't your momma teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say that you shouldn't say anything at all?

Be nice.

Reaction score
maybe have sounded a bit too harsh... but why would you have mould. really where do you live....i am actually curious.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i was just scrubbing some of the green mold crap off the case,

I sure hope it wasn't mold...cause then that means those fingers have been somewhere they shouldn't be!!! :Smirk:

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
"green molde crap".....that was a joke right ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.