Pocket PC on powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
I just bought me a new PocketPC and my computer recoginzing it over blue tooth but what do I need to sync it up? will it let me sync with iCal and address book?? I seen where Mod Schweb uses pocketpc what program do you use?

thanks
matt

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not use it, or even looked at it, but you might want to look at Apple's iSync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I have a HP PocketPC hx4700 that I sync with my PowerBook and iMac using the PocketMac Pro software. It integrates nicely between the PocketPC and the iMac. It also isn't as troublesome as ActiveSync can be. I would suggest downloading the trial of PocketMacPro and MissingSync and try them first before buying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
mdavis71 said:
I just bought me a new PocketPC and my computer recoginzing it over blue tooth but what do I need to sync it up? will it let me sync with iCal and address book?? I seen where Mod Schweb uses pocketpc what program do you use?

thanks
matt

i use missig sync and have never encountered a problem.

P

Papadelta

I just bought a imatte PDA2k and spent 2 days reading all I could about both the Pocketmac and Missing Sync. There were a number of comparisons made. The interesting thing is that people either loved one or the other. They were not ambivolent about it at all. I chose the Pocketmac. A few minor problems syncing the first time, but their on line help desk responded to my problems and within 18 hours (including sleeping) I was up and running. The syncing process seems quite a bit slower than my old Treo, and I think it syncs all the files instead of seeing what has changed. Like most PC based systems it doesn't know the work "simplicity" which we have learned to love in our macs. If you google "pocketmac, missing sync, compare" you get most off the reviews.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I have a Pocket PC and I use PocketMac. I have to say, I've not been entirely chuffed with it. Because:

- the sync process takes a very long time indeed
- it's pretty dumb - for example, when it syncs files, it appears to just copy everything across, rather than just syncing the changed blocks or even the changed files
- because it is heavy-handed with the syncing, I seem to run into problems when I also sync the same device with a PC using ActiveSync - sometimes I end up with duplicates, even once with a completely duplicated calendar
- sometimes it grinds to a halt in the middle of syncing
- it once corrupted my Calendar - had to delete it all and start again

So, all in all, I'd say it's not perfect. I wanted to try Missing Sync, but they don't have a trial, and I didn't want to spend out on it only to find it was no better than PocketMac.

I keep hoping they'll release a new version which works more like ActiveSync. It's the first application I've found on the Mac which seems inferior to its Windows equivalent.

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.