once i install a program it won't work

Reaction score
hey, I have installed many different programs and i only just realised that the problem as not with the programs I was trying to install.
This is what would happen, I would install a program, lets say I wanted to install Firefox. Once I finished installing the program, I dragged the Firefox icon to the dock and then when I try to go on it, the icon bounced twice and then stop. this happens to countless number of other programs, does any body know why this is happening?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Have you tried repairing disk permissions and doing a full disk repair by booting up from the OS X CD?

10.3 is also pretty long in the tooth now. Firefox needs 10.4 minimum, so that will explain your problem with that one.

OP
S
Reaction score
i have lost my os x cd and if u knw where i can get a knew disc from, that would be helpful
also i tried to install itunes 8 aswell, doest that need 10.4 minimum aswell?

edit: just realised most program do need 10.4, how much would a 10.4 OS X disc cost? also would it work on a power book g4.
also another problem with my laptop is that for some reason the sound stop working on it. i was on holiday and i left my laptop at home and i think that someone at home must of droped the laptop or deleted a driver. if i plug in headphones or external speakers the sound works perfectly. i was wondering is there any way in which i can check whether the speakers are busted or if the sound driver is deleted or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
What are the specs of your PowerBook? It will almost certainly run Tiger, but if it is new enough, you may be able to run the latest version of OS X, Leopard, which will be supported for even longer then Tiger.

As for the sound problem, try going to System Preferences>Sound and click on the Output tab. Make sure the internal speakers are listed as the output type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Once I finished installing the program, I dragged the Firefox icon to the dock and then when I try to go on it, the icon bounced twice and then stop. this happens to countless number of other programs, does any body know why this is happening?

thanks in advance
How exactly are you installing them?

It sounds like you may be missing a step or two.
Check out this thread for information on how to properly install applications:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/301371-post6.html

OP
S
Reaction score
As for the sound problem, try going to System Preferences>Sound and click on the Output tab. Make sure the internal speakers are listed as the output type.
In system preferences, sound, output, it says name=headphones port:built-in audio.
I'm not sure, but does that mean that the volume is only suppose to come out of the headphone port?

Reaction score
You definitely want to upgrade to Tiger if you EVER want to run anything ever again! The amount of decent freeware for Panther is so slim. But what are your specs? If the PowerBook is less than 1 GHz, you might not have a fun movies + gaming experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.