How can i delete a disk?

Reaction score
Hi. First of all will i say sorry for my bad english.

Then, let's come to the problem.
I got a friend of mine.. Who was so stupid that he maked a disk with help of "Boot Camp".. When he has do that.. I try to use this now disk as his Time Machine Back-up disk. The disk has of course not so big memory as it takes. So now he wanna delete this disk. He has set Time Machine to not use this disk, but the problem is.. I can't delete the disk with the Disk Tool. (Or what it is called in the English OS).. Everytime he tryed it just dosen't do it..
And he can't make a new disk in Boot Camp anymore because it says that "The startdisk should be formated as a unit in the format Mac OS (Journaled)...
So does anybody out the ** to delete a disk manually?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will have to use BootCamp to remove the Windows partition and restore it to a single partition. Use the option to "Create or restore" and choose restore.

Do not use BootCamp to create a partition for Time Machine. That is the same as not having a backup, since your backup info will be stored on the same drive as the original data.

OP
A
Reaction score
I dosen't work.. Every time he open the Boot Camp assistent.. It just give him that message, and then it close the boot camp assistent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
you could try removing the partition with Disk Utility

OP
A
Reaction score
I have try.. But i dosen't work. It start to delete... And when it finnish with the process.. The disk is still there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
and by disk you mean partition I presume :)

ok then there is one more thing I can think of, and that you are using disk utility incorrectly (I don't mean to be rude), in disk utility, you will probably see 4 things: (you might not, but hopefully you will get the idea)
the whole physical disk as a whole,
then 2 subdivisions below it - one will be Macintosh HD and the other maybe something like disk0s2, this is your bootcamp partition
and then just your dvd drive

if you click on the boot camp partition you can then click on the partition tab in the middle of the right pannel, then select the partition from the visual representation of your drive and click the minus sign below

(just to point out, I have personally never done this, but it should work fine, for me Boot Camp Assistant has always worked)d

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have try.. But i dosen't work. It start to delete... And when it finnish with the process.. The disk is still there.

You are booting the machine from your OS X install media aren't you? You can not use Disk Utility to delete or repair the disk\partition while the disk is mounted. Make sure you boot with your Leopard DVD, then follow scathe's instructions.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
#6.. I have delete the "partition" as the way you told there, but i dosen't as i sat work.. But thanks for the help anyway.
#7.. Yup, i have already try to set the OS Install CD in.. And then try to repair AND delete there from.. But agian.. It dosen't work.. It start to deleting/Repairing.. And when it finnish wit hthe process.. And say it IS finnish.. The partition is still there.. Without just some changes..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.