Repair motherboard for 17" iMac G5

Reaction score
Hi! I am new here. This is a cool forum. I look forward to posting.

Has anyone heard of Hammerhead Technology? The website is Hammerhead Technology - Specialize in Laptop Computers and Parts, Home Theater and Corporate Projectors, Professional Video equipment, as well as several other areas of the High-Tech industry They quoted me $195. to repair my logic board on a iMac G5 17" 1.8Ghz. It sounds too good to be true. Another company Computer Repair Services (Computer Repair Services) also has the same service for $275 and that includes shipping. I want my imac fixed but the price of the logic board is way too high, not to mention labor. Now I have these options and I am nervous. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
mtmfx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's difficult to know who to trust as far as board level repairs go. What you can do is try to contact the local BBB for the area they do business in and see if there are any complaints or issues regarding their service. Some repair services advertise board level repair but what they really do is replace your board with a used one that's working.

Doing board level repair on a motherboard - logic board is tedious work as many components are surface mounted. Surface mounting requires a special technique and equipment to remove and replace components.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
saving for a macbook pro
I bought an ibook from them off ebay....worked for two weeks then died. Sent it back under warranty, when it came back the optical drive didn't work but got a refund no problem

MTI

Reaction score
What type of repair are they doing? If they're just replacing bad capacitors, then you might be better off buying the logic board cap kit ($16) and then contacting local TV repair shops and see if they'll do the soldering for you. The caps are not surface mount, so all that's needed is old fashioned soldering skills.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.