Cursor Jumps Around

J

jreinnoldt

I have had three PBs and I am having problems with my new 1.5GHZ 15" PB that I have never before experienced.
Whenever I am typing (in word,powerpoint, entourage etc) the curser jumps back 7-8 words so if I am not watching the screen, I am typing in between text that I already typed. It happens 2-3 times each minute.

However, when I use an external keyboard, there is no problem at all.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you will be knocking the touch pad with you hands trust me i did that when i first got my laptop. Just be a little careful then you wont be doin it ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep ditto.. I did the same thing, until it annoyed me so much that I did some research and I came to the same conclusion.. I kept hitting the touch pad, brushing it more accurately.. and that will throw your cursor all over the place.

OP
D

dkopp1961

So there is no way to disable the touchpad when typing? I am a little concerned because I am a recent switcher with a 15" Powerbook on order.
I can't believe Steve would have missed this one.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

dkopp1961 said:
So there is no way to disable the touchpad when typing? I am a little concerned because I am a recent switcher with a 15" Powerbook on order.
I can't believe Steve would have missed this one.

Yes, there is a setting under mouse/trackpad that is a checkbox: "Ignore Accidential trackpad input" or "Ignore trackpad input while typing". I set this, but found it only mildly effective at reducing my errant trackpad touches. I have this problem on any laptop I use, its just where the trackpad is located in proportion to your typing wrists.

OP
I

IChing

I had that problem when I bought mine also and turned the ignore input on, that worked but once I bought a mouse which I like better than the trackpad the problem totally disappears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I always use a mouse on my laptop, so I havent even thought about that problem in a long time :) Plus I do not rest my wrists on the trackpad when typing.. so it only happened very rarely when I did not use a mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.