Odd question about cleaning my iMac

Reaction score
I have always used desktops and in the past have regularly cleaned out the dust from inside my towers. Then the question arose: with the iMac - is it necessary to clean out the inside and if so, how? I would assume since there are openings dust has to accumulate inside.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have always used desktops and in the past have regularly cleaned out the dust from inside my towers. Then the question arose: with the iMac - is it necessary to clean out the inside and if so, how? I would assume since there are openings dust has to accumulate inside.

My guess is think of an iMac kind of like a laptop...when was the last time you heard of someone cleaning the inside of a laptop. ;D

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use to tear down my homebuilt rigs back to the raw motherboard every 6 months for cleaning. Would guess the iMac is similar to the notebooks in this regard. Had my MBP apart to install a new drive after about 20 months. Although, it's probably not a bad idea, I was very surprised there really was nothing to clean. Even the fans looked good.

Reaction score
The older iMacs, yes, they do need cleaning out. The newer ones, don't know. Wouldn't think so.
My 333 tray load would get filthy. Blew it out once in a while.

MTI

Reaction score
I've been inside G5 and Intel iMacs . . . they do accumulate the same dust crud that other PCs seem to attract.

Reaction score
My guess is think of an iMac kind of like a laptop...when was the last time you heard of someone cleaning the inside of a laptop. ;D
I've cleaned out a few laptops. Not so much dust issues as pet hair clogging fans. But iMacs don't get carried around and laid on the floor as much (I would hope not anyway).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.