Help Choosing an RPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
OK I'm relatively new to macs having been a PC user for 15 years or so, I have a macbook Pro and and imac and a gaming PC.
Iv'e seen an excellent thread regarding porting previously owned PC games to my mac but would like some opinions on a couple of games.

I am looking for a good RPG but cannot decide which to get:

World Of Warcraft.
Lord of the Rings Online
Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning.

Info i'm after is:

1. Which of the above are both PC and mac compatible?
2. Which one do you recommend?
3. Can any of these games be played for free or do they ALL need subscription (I have seen WoW private servers - are these free?
4. I have read that the graphics on WoW aren't up to much is this true.
5. I have read that LOTR online is a direct dump onto an existing MMORPG does it suffer from this?
6. The preview for Warhammer Online is awsome hows the game?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Since there are no OS X versions of LOTR Online or Warhammer, then you are limited to World of Warcraft.

There are private WoW servers. Some free, others not. I've not used one myself. Blizzard doesn't support or even condone the private servers. In fact, they technically are likely illegal. At the least, a violation of the TOS for WoW.

Graphics for WoW are pretty good. Much better than most though perhaps a bit dated compared to what something developed today may be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
WoW I think is the only crossplatform game - and if you have registered a key on one platform, they allow you to get the downloader for the other (I play wow, and found this out when I went looking if I was going to have to buy another disk when I switched to Mac - granted, it took forever to download :) )

WoW is not free, but as was said before some private servers are free, some arent. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a private server - although the cost may be great for ya, you have to consider population. Many do not have huge populations compared to many of the official blizzard servers.

In terms of graphics - it really depends on the region your in. If you're in the classic game areas, the graphics are a bit dated. BC are a bit better, and WotLK are a bit better then BC. Each expansion level also tends to increase the demand on your video card. There are many threads that describe decreasing framerates as people venture into new content areas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.