Can't get my Canon MP960 to scan with my iMac

Reaction score
Help!
I have done everything I can think of. I've installed the programs from the cd, I've downloaded all the new drivers. I've unplugged, restarted, turned on, turned off... don't know what else to do.

It prints fine... and will scan when I go through the trial version of Vue Scan, but if I just press the start button the actual printer, nothing happens.
Help!?!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Will it work if you use Image Capture (/Applications/Image Capture.app)?

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh! Yes it does!! I wonder why I can't just hit start like I used to be able to do when it was hooked up to my pc. Strange!

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh correction on that.. it will only give me the overview... the actual scan button is greyed out. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is your Canon connected by USB directly to your Mac, or to a router for use as a networked printer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've done some brief knowledge base searching and am coming up empty-handed. A few years ago, I know that Canon's multi-function printers did not support use of the scanner under OS X, leading me to buy an HP model instead. As far as I can tell, your model is supported under OS X. I think at this point, you have little resort but to call Canon. For all we know, it may simply be broken. *shrug*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
My Canon MP110 won't scan directly from the onboard button either, it's necessary to use the MP Navigator software then was installed on the Mac at setup. If you go via that route, assuming you have the 960 software and/or the install CD, I think you'll find that it works. Bit of a hassle, I know, but you get all the resolution options, colour or grayscale, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Had a Canon MP 760 and scanning was only possible with physical USB connection using MP Navigator - now with Brother MFC wireless both computers on LAN can print and scan wirelessly. With my MBP even found and used another Brother MFC "off site" with zero configuration efforts on my part.
Brother seem to have the Mac's catered for well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.