Save for web color issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey all, ive noticed lately that when i "save for web" in photoshop cs3, the color shifts a bit (see atttached, original is the top, save for web bottom). the color seems more "dusty" and less vibrant than the original image. not sure why this is happening. a client called and wondered why their image is less vibrant than what they sent. im not changing the color, its just doing this on its own. any ideas? thanks.

Picture 5.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What file type was the original image and what are you saving it as?
What are your optimization settings?

Are you embedding any color profile?

From your images, it would appear that the top one is a selected and highlighted slice, while the bottom is not. This shouldn't matter if you are optimizing the image for the web, I was just making an observation.

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats the thing.

the top image is the unaltered RGB jpg. the bottom image is just the window for "save for web" before optimization. so its also the original rgb jpg, but its changing the colors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Someone had once suggested to me that when you upload pics to the web, there are some websites which wreak havoc with compression schemes and that's why there may be some differences in color. I didn't necessarily buy that explanation, but it's one I can offer up as a suggestion right now.

Doug

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ill look into that, but these arent being uploaded to the web. being sent out as an HTML newletter ultimately. but these examples are just being viewed on screen. not a huge deal, this is the first client that has said anything in over 4 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
IN the save for web box there is a small round button with an arrow in it (near the Done button).

In the list when this button is pressed deselect Convert to sRGB

That should do it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
isn't this just photoshop converting to web-safe colors? just like when you select a color, there is a little check-box in the bottom and if you check that you are only prompted with web-safe colors to choose from? this would change all your colors, even though slightly

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think that only happens when you save as a .gif. i could be wrong tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
IN the save for web box there is a small round button with an arrow in it (near the Done button).

In the list when this button is pressed deselect Convert to sRGB

That should do it

Had the same issue a few months ago. This is your answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.