Repair Imac or get a new one?

Reaction score
My Imac is a few years old (4, I think) and I just had the harddrive replaced 2 months ago after a frightening experience (I thought I had lost everything!) I paid around $450 to have it all taken care of. Now it's back in the shop because of power source issues - keeps cutting off on me. It's out of warranty, and the price tag to have this problem fixed is another $450! Should I repair this thing and pray that it lives, or scrap it and buy a new one? If so, which Mac is best? I am a graphic designer, and use it for print graphics.

Reaction score
What are the specs on it? I'm guessing it's one of those desk lamp style iMacs with the round base?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My Imac is a few years old (4, I think) and I just had the harddrive replaced 2 months ago after a frightening experience (I thought I had lost everything!) I paid around $450 to have it all taken care of.

I hate to say it...but if your iMac is truly 4 years old...$450 is not too far off it's market value. Spending $450 on a computer that's worth about $450 is not a good investment.

Please don't spend any more money on this computer!

My vote is get a new or newer iMac.

- Nick

MTI

Reaction score
A 2004/5 iMac could be a G5 . . . which, if so, probably explains the power supply problem since they suffered from the "bad caps" of that period. $450 would likely get a nice early Intel iMac 17" . . . hopefully one without the LCD lines . . . or an early Intel Mini.

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd tear the thing apart and replace the capacitors myself. I don't think capacitors are that expensive, and it's a good learning experience. But I seem to remember hating the disassembling process involved with the iMac G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.
My vote is to buy a new one, why keep wasting money on something that's going to be outdated (even after spending $450 on it). If my emac or powermac ever has problems, I don't think I would even spend $50 to "fix" them. Depending on your budget, a used iMac should run you about $600 (depending on age, screen size, etc).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.