• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to Split Videos into Parts

Reaction score
OK , so I want to upload a video to Youtube or Dailymotion, but it's 43 minutes long and Dailymotion only allows 20 minutes max, so I need to split it.

I'm not sure about Youtube, it says "1 GB" file size, but I tried uploading to Youtube and it didn't process (says "failed.")

The whole video is 168 MB.

The format is flash, I can convert it to AVI,MGEG-4 with MPEG Streamclip.

What I want to know, is how can I split the video into three 15 minute parts ?

Is there a simple way to do this , and what programs can I use ?

Any imovie/idvd ?

Other software ?

Any ideas ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
YouTube is limited to 10 minutes. That 1GB is simply the maximum file size you can upload which does get converted.

I'd convert it to something iMovie could handle and make appropriate split edits in that. For me that usually means opening the file in QuickTime Pro and saving the file to Apple Intermediate Codec. If I recall right, I can do that because I have Perian loaded which allows QT to read the flv files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.