Switching on a budget

Reaction score
I want to switch so bad but the funds are holding me back a bit. Plus I want to make sure I get the mac that is right for me. I want a notebook ofcourse :)

I will be using the notebook for flash, dreamweaver, photoshop ect .. and I was looking at getting the ibook 12" G4 laptop. When a ram upgrade :robot: I found this notebook for $799 at http://microcenter.com/single_produ...duct_id=0173858 which I thought was a very good price and cheapest i've found yet. If you know cheaper please post but give me some input macheads :)

Thanks

:bomb:

D

Desolate One

The page wasn't available. What are the specs of that model PowerBook?
When I was shopping around for my iBook I noticed resellers had slightly lower prices but also older models. If you're a student you get a discount with Apple so you may want to check out your PowerBook at an apple retail store. They usually stock "refreshed" models. Nothing wrong with them and they're usually a couple hundred dollars cheaper. That and the student discount makes for some significant savings.

Oh yah, Welcome aboard! :mac:

OP
J
Reaction score
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0173858

lets try that link, its a ibook and not a powerbook. All I really need it for is making flash animations, web surfing, and emails. No video editing or anything like that.

The specs (just in case link doesnt work)

$799

Product Specifications Model Number
Macintosh iBook G4 M9426

Case Style
Portable

Processor
PowerPC G4 Processor with Velocity Engine

Processor Speed
1.0GHz

Level 2 Cache
512KB Level 2 Cache

Data Bus Speed
133MHz Frontside Bus

RAM Installed / Max RAM Supported
256MB PC-2100 DDR RAM (Expandable to 1.25GB)

Memory Configuration
(1) Integrated 256MB DIMM Memory Module

Memory Slots Available
One available 200-pin SO-DIMM Slot

Hard Drive
30GB 4,200RPM Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive

Multimedia Drive
Combo 8x DVD-ROM / 24x16x24 CD-RW Drive

Display Type
12.1" XGA Active Matrix Display

Video Card
Integrated 4x AGP ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 Video Chipset

Video Memory Installed
32MB DDR SDRAM Video Memory

Internal Max Resolution
1024 x 768 at 24-bit (16.7M colors)

Sound Card
Integrated Sound Card

Sound Output Mode
16-Bit stereo

Audio Input
Integrated microphone

Modem / Communication Device
Integrated 56K V.92 Fax/Modem Adapter

Data / Fax Transfer Rate
56Kbps Data / 14.4Kbps Fax

Network Features
Integrated 10/100 Network Adapter

Wireless Network Features
AirPort Extreme Ready

Ports and Connectors
1-Video Out Mini-VGA Port; 2-USB 2.0 Type "A" Ports; 1-FireWire 400 6-pin Port; 1-Modem RJ-11 Port; 1-Network RJ-45 Port; 1-Audio Out Port

Expansion Slots
1 (1 free) AirPort Extreme Slot

Built-in Devices
Speakers, Wireless Antenna

Input Device
Keyboard, Trackpad

Power Supply
AC Adapter

Battery Included
Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery

Average Run Time
Up to 6 Hours

Operating System
Mac OS X version 10.3 "Panther"

Included Software
Mail, Safari, iChat AV, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, GarageBand and iMovie), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Chess, Quicken 2004 Deluxe, World Book 2003 Edition, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, Deimos Rising, Sound Studio, Zinio Reader

Dimensions (WxDxH)
11.2" x 9.1" x 1.35"

Weight
4.9 lbs

Manufacturer Warranty
1 Year Limited Warranty

thanks for the welcome :)

D

Desolate One

iBook! Whoa, this isn't the first time I made that mistake. I think I have PowerBook on the brain. I better get one as to not repeat the mistake. ;)

I think it's a good deal. I mean is 200 more Mhz worth another $200, not to me it isn't. Like you said, get the memory upgrade and you'll be good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
That does indeed appear to be a good deal, and I don't think you'll be at all disappointed with that machine.

W

warrenbert

Again, assuming you qualify for the student discount of 10%, you'd get the 1.2GHz AND Airport Extreme card for $20 more (airport= $79).

Be sure to get your memory from a good place like www.newegg.com. Apple charges too much.

OP
J
Reaction score
warrenbert said:
Again, assuming you qualify for the student discount of 10%, you'd get the 1.2GHz AND Airport Extreme card for $20 more (airport= $79).

Be sure to get your memory from a good place like www.newegg.com. Apple charges too much.

Well I cant get a student discount, but newegg.com is a great place and I will get my ram from them. :mac:

Reaction score
i was going to get that same deal, but by the time you pay tax and shipping unless your buying in a store it comes out to almost 900 so you might as well just get one from a place online with no tax that comes with an airport card, plus you will have the bigger processor. i don't suggest MACMALL they suck *** you can't return anything there and the people are all A-holes.

OP
J
Reaction score
rmhop81 said:
i was going to get that same deal, but by the time you pay tax and shipping unless your buying in a store it comes out to almost 900 so you might as well just get one from a place online with no tax that comes with an airport card, plus you will have the bigger processor. i don't suggest MACMALL they suck *** you can't return anything there and the people are all A-holes.

store not in my state so no tax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Just make sure that 30 GB is going to do it for you. Hard drives on iBooks, especially the 12", are extremely difficult to swap out, so if you go for this one, assume you won't be upgrading.

Also note that this does not have a wireless card. If you want to do any kind of WiFi (designing websites at Starbucks, etc. :) you'll need to buy an Airport Extreme card.

For memory, Newegg is good. I bought mine from crucial.com, and I'm completely satisfied with their service.

OP
J
Reaction score
caribiner23 said:
Just make sure that 30 GB is going to do it for you. Hard drives on iBooks, especially the 12", are extremely difficult to swap out, so if you go for this one, assume you won't be upgrading.

Also note that this does not have a wireless card. If you want to do any kind of WiFi (designing websites at Starbucks, etc. :) you'll need to buy an Airport Extreme card.

For memory, Newegg is good. I bought mine from crucial.com, and I'm completely satisfied with their service.

it says

Built-in Devices

and

AirPort Extreme Ready

?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
jsb515 said:
it says

Built-in Devices

and

AirPort Extreme Ready

?

Yes, the antenna is built-in; It's automatically built into all iBooks.

"Airport Extreme Ready" means it's ready to accept an Airport Extreme card that you buy. Look in the list you posted under "Expansion Slots" where it says "1 (1 free) AirPort Extreme Slot"-- "free" means "empty."

Installing the Airport Extreme card is as simple as installing memory-- in fact, they're both in the same little pod under the keyboard.

OP
J
Reaction score
caribiner23 said:
Yes, the antenna is built-in; It's automatically built into all iBooks.

"Airport Extreme Ready" means it's ready to accept an Airport Extreme card that you buy. Look in the list you posted under "Expansion Slots" where it says "1 (1 free) AirPort Extreme Slot"-- "free" means "empty."

Installing the Airport Extreme card is as simple as installing memory-- in fact, they're both in the same little pod under the keyboard.

Oh ! :dummy: I'll get a airport later on then no big hurry for wireless right now consider I can plug the laptop in anywhere in my house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Desolate One said:
iBook! Whoa, this isn't the first time I made that mistake. I think I have PowerBook on the brain. I better get one as to not repeat the mistake. ;)

I think it's a good deal. I mean is 200 more Mhz worth another $200, not to me it isn't. Like you said, get the memory upgrade and you'll be good.

With student discount, you'd get it cheaper than $999, as was already said. Plus, not only is it .2 GHz faster, it's got TWICE as much HD space, AND the network card already in it. 800 isn't that good of a deal, even without the student discount, and with it, it's downright not a good deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
rmhop81 said:
with student discount it's only $949 so not much of a discount.

If 200 bucks is a big deal to him, chances are 50's significant. Those of us without tons of money cut corners wherever we can.

OP
J
Reaction score
g3 on ebay going for around $500 but to me thats a waste when I can spend 300 more and get a more updated mac. Also will the tiger upgrade be worth upgrading right now ? or should I wait a few more updates later to do it ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.