I'm Switching....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Amen-Moses said:
Could we not simply delete the offending posts and leave others to carry on the discussion?

That is what we tend to do on the forums I moderate.

Individual posters should obviously be PM'd about why the posts are deleted and if they do it again then banning is always an option.

Amen-Moses
Your wish is my command ;)

D

dirtydog

Amen-Moses said:
Just because XP has been out for 4 years doesn't mean that all new releases will work under it, many people still have not switched from 98/Me and many developers aim for the larger market. I alway now look out for the XP designator on the side of a game before buying if it is a full price game.

StS 3D came out around 2002 and is a DX 7.0 game so theoretically should work, in fact I only found a couple of mentions of problems on the web neither of which had any replies from people with a fix.

The 9200SE card plays the following games fine:

UT, UT 2003, UT 2004, Halo, HL1 & 2, Far Cry, WC III, American McGees Alice, Star Wars Jedi Outcast, Myst III, IV, Uru + all expansions, Medal of Honour (all of them).

Those games *run* on a 9200SE.. they don't play very well though do they :D Please don't tell me UT 2003, UT 2004, Halo or Far Cry run at over 20fps as I know they don't on that very very slow card. The 9200 is painfully slow; the 9200SE is twice as slow due to its 64-bit memory interface.

Oh and every single game and program released today does indeed work on Windows XP. An increasing amount of new software does not work under 9x any more, in fact. 9x is dead, few people are still using it and those who are, are generally using ancient hardware which can't run (very well) new games anyway. (* incidentally a lot of businesses still run Windows 95 (shudder), but I'm talking about home users / gamers here)

btw I agree, keep the thread open, a debate is fine so long as it's not personal insults etc.

edit - if you can name some recent games which don't run under XP then I will stand corrected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Stop that stupid bashing, it's nonsense!!

Gee, what a bunch of crap some users (Mac as well as Windows) write down here...

Especially one specific Mac-user here gives a very bad image to the Mac-community...Talking lots of nonsense about Windows AND of OS X. Worst thing is, he's a switcher, not even a Mac-only user, which would probably explain the ignorance about some Windows facts.

Just one little hint: If you have no idea what you're talking about, even if you think you do...JUST SIMPLY KEEP QUIET!!

And no, repairing permissions does NOT, in any circumstances repair EVERY problem than can occur on a Mac, especially not if it's hardware related. Just saying this because some Mac-user really thinks that repairing permissions is the answer to everything... :eek:

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
dirtydog said:
Those games *run* on a 9200SE.. they don't play very well though do they :D Please don't tell me UT 2003, UT 2004, Halo or Far Cry run at over 20fps as I know they don't on that very very slow card. The 9200 is painfully slow; the 9200SE is twice as slow due to its 64-bit memory interface.

edit - if you can name some recent games which don't run under XP then I will stand corrected.

They run and are playable, maybe the fact that I have 1G of RAM helps somewhat but yes they are playable. Now they are not running at more that 800x600 I will admit and some of them need to run at only minimal realism (I'm thinking Far Cry and HL 2 in particular) with things like shadows turned off or lower quality of textures but 20 FPS is quite achievable.

Anyhow you originally specified a 4 year period and indeed there are games from that period which came out without being able to work on XP, in fact I remember at least a six month period when XP first came out where the newsgroups and forums were inundated by "game xyz no longer works" posts and even new releases were being patched left right and centre. Gfx drivers in particular were a real problem and I had to switch back to 98SE a few times due to dodgy display drivers.

Now of course all new major releases will work on an XP just as all new releases for Mac run natively on OS X but it has taken a long time to arrive at that situation and I am still left with a huge box full of games that are rendered useless. The daft thing is that I can still watch films I bought on VCDs back at the same time I bought a lot of these games and I can definitely still watch videos from that era on a brand new video player, I can even buy a machine which has a video player and a DVD recorder in it so I can transfer my videos to DVD, and the same machine will play CDs I bought way back when CDs were first released so backward compatibility is doable.

Similarly I can go out and buy any PS one title with almost 100% confidence that it will work on my brand new PS2 machine.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Avalon said:
Just one little hint: If you have no idea what you're talking about, even if you think you do...JUST SIMPLY KEEP QUIET!!

Tell you what, if you lead by example I'll follow. Of course it would be pretty boring around here with no posts to read. ;)

Personally I'll keep answering questions, offering advice and posting things that I know even if I only think that I know them, I mean maybe I'm wrong and my son didn't just defeat a bunch of other internet players on UT 2004 using such a pathetically unplayable graphics card, maybe I just imagined the whole thing but it sure seemed real to me. Maybe the other day we didn't hold a BoH LAN party with 7 machines, 4 of them Macs, with everyone pretty equally matched. Maybe the big box of games are usable on XP and I just haven't been able to find the right sequence of patches and drivers to make it happen.

I can only post about reality from the viewpoint of someone living that reality, if in someone elses reality the universe plays a different tune that is not my problem.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I wasn't referring to you anyway, Amen-Moses...
Your posts are ones of the more intelligent ones to be honest, and there are of course more users like that, luckily...

Actually, I haven't yet read your posts when I answered, just got a little angry about the b-s Whiteshark was posting, and is posting more and more around here...

I'm just really fed up about all that "Mac is the best, Windows sux"-talk he's doing more and more, without ANY founded background or knowledge...and there are other users like that also...

It's this type of discussions that blows up threads without carrying any information, just bashing from one side to another...which is totally useless and nonsense.

I just answered a little to fast I guess, without reading the whole thread. :blind:

To clear this out: I do not, under any circumstances, think that you don't know what you're talking about, Amen-Moses. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Avalon said:
To clear this out: I do not, under any circumstances, think that you don't know what you're talking about, Amen-Moses. ;)

Thanks for that, as for White Sharks, I try to avoid them they bite first and don't ask questions later. ;)

If we were discussing 95 or 98SE compared to say Linux or Mac OS 8 then I'd probably agree with our resident aquatic carnivore but for what it's worth, bar resets following upgrades, my XP -Pro box has been up continously for about a year now. Mind you so has my iMac and they sit side by side. I have no complaints about the PC, it folds proteins well (not as well as if it was Intel Inside (tm) - bing, de bing do bong bong) as well as the Macs as long as they all stick to Gromacs cores. But there again I shouldn't have any complaints as I don't use it.

Sorry, got carried away a bit there ;) my points above still remain, everyone in my household except my 8 year old son prefer to use the Macs to get normal day to day stuff done and even he only uses the PC to play games. (just to prove me wrong he is currently playing UT 2003 on the Mac Mini, according to him 2003 plays better on the Mini than on the PC whereas 2004 plays better on the PC, go figure!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
This is so absurd. The glacier grade mountain of evidence of core open vulnerable OS in the Norton web site and in Cnet news and the fact that all government agencies that can are jumping ship to Linux or anything to escape it are a bit beyond my need to prove over and over again! I have posted enough help on here to be a paid consultant, and ask nothing. And YES! Repairing permissions is ALWAYS a good first start in any issue!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even a Mac is only a computer!! Even a Mac can fail and yes, even OS X has flaws, including security flaws.
It certainly is more difficult to make a virus for any Unix-based system, nevertheless it IS possible, and just because of the limited user-base nobody seems to be interested to create such thing.

The registry definitely is Windows' weakest point, but more because the way it's handled than the idea itself.

Don't get me wrong, I like and always prefer a Mac over a PC, and OS X is really my favorite OS at the moment, nevertheless, even Windows has it's good points, just as OS X has it's bad points.

I use both, OS X at home and Windows at work.

Simply stop that nonsense bashing of other platforms. It makes absolutely no sense, and if Windows really were so extremely bad, how come that today's world, which is heavily relying on PCs running Windows, didn't collapse yet? So, it can't be that bad, can it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I guess when all else fails, and someone continues to be rude and spout off ignorantly, you can always just add them to your ignore list. That way you don't see their foolish prattling. You can also add negative reputation if they are particularly offensive or foolish.

I'm not talking about anyone in particular here. Just making suggestions on how to handle trolls. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well dan you do make two good points:

- The reputation system exists for this purpose. You can agree or disagree with a particular user's posts. The more people that use the system and the more often it's used, the more accurate it will be. So use it!

- If there is a particular user that annoys you, rather than get into a shouting match with them, add them to ignore. It's much more civil than personally attacking people and will keep your stress level down.

So, with that said...continue :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Yep. That ignore function works quite well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
schweb said:
Well dan you do make two good points:

- The reputation system exists for this purpose. You can agree or disagree with a particular user's posts. The more people that use the system and the more often it's used, the more accurate it will be. So use it!

- If there is a particular user that annoys you, rather than get into a shouting match with them, add them to ignore. It's much more civil than personally attacking people and will keep your stress level down.

So, with that said...continue :)

Ok, I will do my best to be more civil...haven't totally figured out yet how that reputation system works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Some Registry notes and tips If there is no issue, why do these exist? Secure? how did this happen?:
W32.Conycspa.G@mm is a mass mailing worm that downloads and executes files from the Internet.

Note: Virus definitions dated prior to February 26, 2005 may detect this threat as Trojan.Bookmarker.

Also Known As:
Trojan.Bookmarker, Trojan-Downloader.Win32.CWS.gen [Kaspersky Lab], QLowZones-4.dldr [McAfee]

Variants:
W32.Conycspa@mm

Type:
Worm

Infection Length:
12,288 Bytes, 33,280 Bytes

Systems Affected:
Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) *

February 26, 2005

Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate™) **

February 27, 2005
Intelligent Updater definitions are released daily, but require manual download and installation.
Click here to download manually.
LiveUpdate virus definitions are usually released every Wednesday.
Click here for instructions on using LiveUpdate.
Wild

Number of infections: 0 - 49
Number of sites: 0 - 2
Geographical distribution: Low
Threat containment: Easy
Removal: Moderate

Threat Metrics
Wild:
Low
Damage:
Medium

Distribution:
High

Damage

Payload Trigger: n/a
Payload: Downloads and executes remote content.

Large scale e-mailing: Sends an email to all addresses found in the Windows Address Book.
Deletes files: n/a
Modifies files: Inserts a line into the %Windir%\system.ini file.
Degrades performance: n/a
Causes system instability: n/a
Releases confidential info: n/a
Compromises security settings: n/a

Distribution

Subject of email: screen saver
Name of attachment: web.exe
Size of attachment: 12,288 Bytes
Time stamp of attachment: n/a
Ports: n/a
Shared drives: n/a
Target of infection: n/a

When W32.Conycspa.G@mm is executed, it performs the following actions:

Creates the folder %Windir\inet10050

Note: %Windir% is a variable that refers to the Windows installation folder. By default, this is C:\Windows or C:\Winnt.

Copies itself as %Windir\inet10050\services.exe.

Adds the value:

"xp_system" = "%Windir%\inet10050\services.exe"

to the registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

so that the worm runs every time Windows starts.

Adds the following line to the %Windir%\system.ini file:

"load=%Windir%\inet10050\services.exe"

Attempts to download the file commands.ini.php from the conyc.com domain. The file contains a list of URLs pointing at files also on the conyc.com domain.

The worm attempts to download and execute the files listed. The files downloaded are detected as:

ef.exe (Detected as W32.Conycspa.G@mm, this is the mass mailing component)
s.exe (Trojan.Adclicker.A)
r.exe (Trojan.Adclicker.A)
ad.exe (Adware.CWSConyc)
helpsys.exe (Download.Adware)
dstart.exe (Dialer.WSV)
pd7.exe (Dialer.WSV)
X.exe (Dialer.Thehun)

When the mass mailing component runs, it gathers all email addresses from the Windows Address Book.

Sends an email to all addresses that it finds. The email will have the following characteristics:

Subject:*screen saver

Body:*hey buddy!

atached good screen saver, just run

I like it!

Attachment: web.exe or this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
The mac is also more virus proof than pcs because there is no indefensible registry to hide stuff in, therefor macs are harder to get hit with viruses

also note Mac OS X ships with 0 open ports unlike xpee, last i read was 4

K

Kokopelli

witeshark: I realize you feel very strongly about this but is there any way I can convince you to calm down a little? Others have an opinion that differs from yours, please respect their opinion even if you do not agree with it. Further the continual barrage of worm summaries is getting repetitious and not adding anything additional to your point. Windows is less secure than Mac or Linux and there are a number of precautions that should be taken in Windows that are not necessary at the moment for Mac or Linux. This does not mean that Windows can not be used safely, merely that some knowledge is required. The same can be said of Linux and OS X.

Also for the sake of my sanity reformat the post above so as not to be double spaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kokopelli said:
witeshark: I realize you feel very strongly about this but is there any way I can convince you to calm down a little? Others have an opinion that differs from yours, please respect their opinion even if you do not agree with it. Further the continual barrage of worm summaries is getting repetitious and not adding anything additional to your point. Windows is less secure than Mac or Linux and there are a number of precautions that should be taken in Windows that are not necessary at the moment for Mac or Linux. This does not mean that Windows can not be used safely, merely that some knowledge is required. The same can be said of Linux and OS X.

Also for the sake of my sanity reformat the post above so as not to be double spaced.

that settles it :robot:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
utterly dumbfounded here. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
utterly dumbfounded here. :(
Me too... this thread is almost two years old, why dig it up? :black:
I think it has ran it's course already. :black:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.