dreaded battery/magsafe/X problem looking for trouble shooting tips

Reaction score
hi first off i'm new to the forums

this is my first mac but not my first computer

I bought a macbook A1181 2.0 C2D that had some issues

i fixed most of the issues and now have just one last thing to trouble shoot.

I'm having the dreaded battery "X" no battery problem syndrome

I've done all the research but i'm stumped

Here's the scenario:
Brand new Magsafe Charger, indicates green
Battery indicator X
If I unplug the magsafe - macbook dies (its essentially a Desktop lol)

I bouht a used magsafe DC-in board from ebay
seller indicated that it was 100% working condition but didn't change the scenario

I'm thinking I could change the battery connector but before I venture on this course of action, how can i troubleshoot and be certain as to the problem?

It seems logical that the problem is the battery connector as power is flowing from the wall, through the charger, into the macbook, but it seems the connection between the battery/battery connector/logic board is where the problem is...

thanks in advance for any help possible.

Reaction score
Did you reset the SMC? Try a different battery?

If neither of those help you should take your machine to an Apple Store or a Repair Shop. They might give you a replacement, depending on how old the battery is.

OP
G
Reaction score
already reset the smc and the pram

i've already brought the macbook into the apple store

they said they tried a different battery already

Reaction score
Then I think you should ask for a replacement. How old is the machine (and presumably, the battery) ? Still under AppleCare?

OP
G
Reaction score
already out of warranty

battery is not the issue, apple store said battery is in good shape

even if the battery were completely dead it should indicate that it is present, right? (i also have all the battery updates)

Reaction score
Hi mate,
Looks like there is something wrong either with battery connector or something in between the connector and SMC. I would first try to unplug the battery connector from the logical board and clean it with a rubber. If it does not help look at the small board you detached with the connector- is there any visual damage to it? If there is then it may be a good idea to replace it. However the problem can also be somewhere on the logical board itself. Good luck mate!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.