Freeware websites causing internet problems in new mac

Reaction score
I Just bought my first mac two days ago. I'm loving it. I haven't been having any problems except for one strange occurrence. Whenever i attempt to navigate to a website that would enable me to download various types of free software, i am unable to navigate to the intended site, and i am thereafter unable to navigate to any other website, using both firefox or safari. The blue bar inside the web address bar only goes as far as "http://www." for any site I attempt to go to. This continues until i power cycle my modem and router. This has happened multiple times.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it? I would much appreciate the help. Thx.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It sounds like it's not a OS X problem, but rather probably a problem with your router and modem. If the problem only went away after power cycling your Mac, I'd agree that it's definitely a problem with your comp, but since power cycling the router and modem is required to fix it - it seems that something in the way they are handling the data is causing them to cease functioning correctly.

More info about:

1) Websites you are going to (a few samples of ones that trigger this problem every time would be helpful)
2) Version of OSX (you say first mac 2 days ago, but haven't mentioned the model of Mac or OS version installed)
3) Router that you are using, and net provider might help.

OP
T
Reaction score
it turns out that it was just one website causingthis problem. I'm at work right now and dont have the exact website. Still, it is a strange problem and i would like to obtain further insight regarding it. in answer to your question, i have the latest generation mac book with OS X Leopard, 2.4gtz, 4 G ram. Using a belkin router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Let us have the link when you know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.