magazine cover and spread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I have been working on this 2-page spread for my graphic design classes.. and t finish early so i made a cover to go with it.. just would like some input on both if you all dont mind. The spread had to be on Neville Brody, if you dont know who he is wiki him he is a pretty cool guy. I knew nothing about him b4 this project. if you want to see more check out my grpahic design folder on my flickr

here is the cover the line is where it would fold in
MagazineCover.jpg

2-page spread
MagazineSpread0211x17.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
I'm no graphic designer but it looks good to me, nice work.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
well thank you. i worked on it for a few days. the hardest thing was making up a company and making that logo/brand for graphic times.

btw you like my quote from you, hope you dont mind me quoting you.. but that was well said....lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
well thank you. i worked on it for a few days. the hardest thing was making up a company and making that logo/brand for graphic times.

btw you like my quote from you, hope you dont mind me quoting you.. but that was well said....lol

I'll tell you what, I have a lot of respect for Graphic designers. They in my opinion are one of the most creative people out there. Being a photographer I get paid to be creative SOME of the time, which I do enjoy. But you guys are required to be creative 100% of the time and there is no way I could pull that off. Keep up the good work, looks like you are on the right path.

I am also privileged to have my quote in your sig, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Very nice. Looks professional. I'm not a graphic designer, or anything close, but I look at magazines, and thats better laid out than most of what I see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
only thing i would suggest would be to make the name pop a bit more in the article. it seems to get lost a bit when it goes over his head (the B in brody for instance). maybe a little heavier stroke and change the stroke color from red to orange (pantone orange 021 is my fav) might fix that and maybe a few point sizes bigger. otherwise, its very nice. :)

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
only thing i would suggest would be to make the name pop a bit more in the article. it seems to get lost a bit when it goes over his head (the B in brody for instance). maybe a little heavier stroke and change the stroke color from red to orange (pantone orange 021 is my fav) might fix that and maybe a few point sizes bigger. otherwise, its very nice. :)

i looked at that as well and moved it multiple times. i will play with it a lil more.. the color though i want to stay the same it is his color.. thx for that input tho... and i appreciate everyone comments..

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updated 2page spread
MagazineSpread0211x17-1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Nice work, I really like it

for some feedback:
in the first posted layout, I would go with what mcjacksonnelson suggested, but in the Graphic Times title, specifically the "Graphic" word, you have a stroke on the P, use something similar on the G .... it's just a thought, I think the title should stand out more ... btw I really like how you handled the CMYK theme :)

as for the second layout, only one thing bothers me and that's how the whole paragraph starting with IT is pushed way to the top, but you would probably have to edit the text itself

now these are just to provide some feedback, overall I think you did a very good job

Edit:
you really like that lambo picture don't you? :) in your photo shoot thread I mentioned the garage being a bad background, but here it blends in, nice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
bingo. thats much better.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the word "Graphic" is the same as the "P" but the paint is not as low on the "P" and the black is showing just like in the word "times" (as if the paint has now filled it in). Also i like the lambo picture so I photoshopped it to make it better and i feel it is more of what the mag is supposed to represent if it were real... I got the layout for the text from a few magazines layouts
I like the way they turned out. And thx I love the cmyk theme.

Edit:
i took in to consideration what you said about the lambo pic thx

Reaction score
OK I'm a Graphic designer have been for 11 years. So here are my suggestions, overall I like it but there are some things you might want to look at in the practicle world. First all you text is way to close to the edge you need at least a .5 inch margin, no magazine would print this, do some research on live area versus trim size of magazines. Second never cut someone's face in half through a gutter, and if you just have to never cut through the eye. Depending on how thick the magazine is and how trap is set, more than likely the face will come out looking horrible and no matter how good your layout looks it will always over power it. Third the text is too hard to read reversed out of his face, you have to remember you can make it as pretty as you want but if no one can read it what's the point. The quotation marks on the quotes are way to big, and distracting. Overall I think you need more breathing room overall don't be afraid of whitespace. Also try to play with your type to get a better rag it will make the page look better overall and make it easier to read.
I think the headline would be better in solid read without an outline, just not a fan of outlined text.

Please take all this with a grain of salt and as constructive criticism, I think you have done a great job and most of the things i said I see students doing all the time. Mainly it comes from not understanding how printing works.

And on the cover i really like your title header but think the text beside it is killing it. Maybe that should move to the black bar under it and move what's there to the page as another article.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I'm a Graphic designer have been for 11 years. So here are my suggestions, overall I like it but there are some things you might want to look at in the practicle world. First all you text is way to close to the edge you need at least a .5 inch margin, no magazine would print this, do some research on live area versus trim size of magazines. Second never cut someone's face in half through a gutter, and if you just have to never cut through the eye. Depending on how thick the magazine is and how trap is set, more than likely the face will come out looking horrible and no matter how good your layout looks it will always over power it. Third the text is too hard to read reversed out of his face, you have to remember you can make it as pretty as you want but if no one can read it what's the point. The quotation marks on the quotes are way to big, and distracting. Overall I think you need more breathing room overall don't be afraid of whitespace. Also try to play with your type to get a better rag it will make the page look better overall and make it easier to read.
I think the headline would be better in solid read without an outline, just not a fan of outlined text.

Please take all this with a grain of salt and as constructive criticism, I think you have done a great job and most of the things i said I see students doing all the time. Mainly it comes from not understanding how printing works.

And on the cover i really like your title header but think the text beside it is killing it. Maybe that should move to the black bar under it and move what's there to the page as another article.

WOW.. that was a look to take in at once.. but thanx for the input. i honestly value your opinion.. thx this is my first layout of this type ever.. so i surely have a lot to learn.. as i dont know any of the perimeters.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thx everyone for the input..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.