Second Mac - Decision Help

egb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.5
Hi all, i'm new here and am trying to decide on the perfect digital lifestyle setup. i've gone back and forth with options for a few weeks now and my i'm driving my gf bonkers:Oops: . i need to make a decision soon, so i'm looking for some feedback.

Currently I have an early 08 MBP 15" 2.5 that is used for everything.

This is the idea:

Primary home setup
Options Considered: Existing MBP, iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro
Purpose:
  • Primary Storage with multiple ext USB drives
  • Web Server (drupal CMS/personal site, low traffic)
  • Backup Server (shared ext drives to enable wireless time machine use and chronosync)
  • Music Editing with Logic
  • stationary system

Secondary mobile setup
Options Considered: Existing MBP, MacBook Air, Macbook uni
  • Mobile system that will travel with me
  • Only core data req'd (documents, music, journaling data)
  • No huge requirement for performance

The decision is then complicated by a few points.
  • I find the MBP a little on the heavy side to take around with me everywhere. Previously, I only had ultraportable PC laptops as my mobile system.
  • I am a little hesitant to own another desktop computer (have only had laptops since 2003).
  • And lastly, I absolutely love my MBP, so am willing to lug it around for that sole reason.

So that's my dilemma and would love some opinions and would appreciate all feedback and details on your multi-Mac setup.

thanks!

Reaction score
If you want to use a machine as a server, automatically eliminate the MBP as an option. I'm not even sure what you are asking- are you wanting to know which machine would be ideal for each of the two setups? if that's the case then I'd go with the Mac Pro for home use and keep your existing MBP for road work.

OP
egb

egb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.5
sorry, i should've clarified on the scale of the requirements. the web server wouldn't be for any major hosting. just basic drupal cms site for personal use with small traffic volume. for backup server, it'll just share out the attached ext drives so that the mobile system can use time machine wirelesly. so in this case, the mbp should be sufficient.

and that's correct, i'm having a tough time deciding between getting a mba, macbook, or imac to complete my setup.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
If money is no object then MBP at home and MBA for the road. I would love an air and iMac personally but I just don't have the cash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.