Airport Extreme vs. Linksys

Reaction score
Alright im running an older linksys router that does have wireless but i was tossing around the idea of upgrading to a newer type router that has the n capabilities. I know this is a mac forum but what is your opinion on the two routers? Would the newer type apple extreme base station or a newer linksys wireless router be the best option to go with? My desktop is still a pc but my newer laptop which i use mostly is a new macbook aluminum. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I have used both N-type routers, I'd say go with the Apple. The Linksys had problems initially during setup, and the wireless signal didn't seem as strong.

Never had a problem with my Extreme Base Station, and the newest model that has been released seems promising with it's dual band operation, I don't know if Linksys offers this yet - haven't checked.

OP
AppleFreak81
Reaction score
yeah seems like the signal from my linksys is never the same in the same spot in my house for some odd reason. Are there any major issues if i get it and also have my pc conncect to it? My desktop is still a pc unfortunately.

Think i might try one out and hopefully get some luck with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i added an Airport Express onto my Linksys G router so i could have 802.11N and a print server off the Airport Express. Just plugged into a spare Cat5e Ethernet port on the linksys, and set the Airport in Bridged mode so the Linksys is the main point and it assigns the IP not the Airport. Works great for me. This is also another way to add wireless to a NON Existing Wireless Router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.