macbook - no speaker sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello,

I'm a new user, switching from Windows to Mac.

Macbook black, 2.4ghz. Bought it 2nd hand but it is still under warranty.

All works well but no sound output from speakers (works well on headphones). The previous owner had put a clean install of the OS X in for me. Could this have messed up speakers?
The sound information (in system preferences) says there is Digital Out - but no other options.
I do NOT have a red light in the headphone socket.

Should I try reinstalling the OS X from the original discs to see if this rectifies the problem?

Thanks in advance. I've already solved some issues using the posts already on this forum, but cannot find anything particular to this problem.

Hope I can contribute in a useful way in the future.
Best wishes, CB

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again,

I think I may have posted in the wrong thread - apologies.

I think I am going to reinstall the OS X. I only want this machine to run Firefox and Final Cut, when I'm on the move. The current OS install seems to have a bundle of stuff I will never need (ichat/iphoto/mail/mobile me/other fun stuff).

Regards, CB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you reinstall OS X, the applications you mentioned will be reinstalled along with the operating system. In any event, Mac OS X is NOT Windows, no need to reinstall to solve simple problems or even those that are more complex.
Besides those apps you mentioned do not take up much space nor use resources if they're not running.

As for the sound problem.... If your headphones are working OK, then the system sound is OK. Open System Preferences, click on the Sound icon and then click on the Output tab. What does it say? (unplug the headphones)

If after unplugging the headphones, it still says output device is the headphones, the output jack may be stuck. The speakers themselves are probably OK. While you're in sound preferences, check all the other sound settings also. Make sure you haven't got "mute" checked off.

You probably should get in touch with the previous owner and ask if he had the same problem. And, if the machine is still under warranty you can always get it repaired by Apple. Make sure the warranty is transferred to you first.

Regards.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for reply, chscag. Very helpful, saved me a chore.

In System Preferences, the only sound output I have available is Digital Out. No mute boxes are checked.

Oops, no, I didn't get the warranty transferred, I just assumed that it was on the Macbook itself and that the serial number would validate it. Original purchaser no longer had receipt.

Thanks again for reply.
Regards, CB

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to conclude.

I had read about blowing compressed air into the Macbook headphone socket (seemingly to clear out dust).

Had no comp-air so blew a few sharp puffs into socket.

Speakers now working perfectly.
System Preferences now showing internal speakers as output device.

Delighted.

Reaction score
Btw, you don't need the receipt for applecare. It's assigned to your Macbook's serial number and apple keeps it on hand.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent!
Thanks, lilmul123.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.