Burn a bootable PC cd in OS X?

Reaction score
Hey I have a big problem. I formatted my PC to reinstall XP Pro but the install keeps crashing. I checked and there's a big scratch on my CD. It's an official disc I bought it's legid. My PowerBook reads the whole disc and seems okay so I wanted to try to copy it to my PB which worked, and then burn a copy of it to see if that works since I really need my PC ASAP. I used Toast and copied all the files and just burned but it won't boot. How in OS X can I make the CD bootable for a PC? Thanks so much!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Did you use Toast to copy the CD or did you just copy the CD to your Mac and then to CD? It should work if you use Toast and directly copy the CD rather than pulling it off your Mac.

Which version of Toast are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you got your PC to boot from CD-ROM first in your bios?

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah of course I have a PC with bootable CD. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing this. I first tried copying all files to my PB then burning with toast which didn't work but I realized after it obviously wouldn't. I tried again using Burnz to save the CD as an ISO and then burn that but no go either. I'll try doing a copy with toast next and see if that works, not sure why it's such a pain on mac to do this. I might try in VirtualPC next with nero if it doesn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
no what i meant was have you set it to look for a cd before it tries to boot from the hard drive?

OP
E
Reaction score
Oh yeah I've done that it's always set that way. The XP cd I have boots up fine and copies files to the HD then when the PC boots to XP setup it gives an error saying paramter incorrect, or cycle redundency check error on some file or something. Toast copy worked when I burned it to CDRW but it keeps giving me errors on like every file so I don't know if that's just the CDRW I used or if its really messed up. Hate to waste a blank cd on nothing if it won't work :S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.