Second Superdrive

Reaction score
This may be a daft question, but I'm about to purchase a new MacPro and was wondering if it was worth me getting a second superdrive?

Can I copy direct from one drive to another, thus removing the need to copy the files to my hard drive first? And does this work if I need to duplicate a DVD movie (e.g. promotional presentations etc) or an Audio CD (e.g. a collection of radio ads)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Burn software usually gives you the option to 'copy' or 'duplicate'. Therefore, two optical drives should you enable you to transfer files but via appropriate software (eg. Toast or Burn or Disk Utility).

Have you considered using an external portable hard drive instead of a second optical drive; or do you need to have optical media to play back whatever you've recorded? Your examples don't suggest an obvious audience, but if you're duplicating music from the radio ads, then you will need to burn the tracks in a format that a CD player will recognise and play - unless of course you're using an .mp3 player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.