problem with Expose - windows are tiny and shows a window that I cannot identify

Reaction score
problem with Expose - all windows are tiny and shows a window that I cannot identify

Hi all

Hope someone can help me with this issue because it is really annoying!!

In the last few weeks, whenever I use expose (via mouse or keyboard) to show all windows, it shrinks the windows to a stupidly small size at the bottom of the screen and it is almost impossible to identify them.

I think what is causing this, is that at the same time there is a small rectangular window shown right at the top of the screen (still in expose), which looks sort of like a dialogue box but i can't identify what it is because when i move the mouse over it, there is no text and if i click on it, the screen just returns to whatever it was on previously

In other words, expose looks like this (regardless of how few/many apps are open):

Picture2.png

has anyone got any idea what is causing this, how i can get rid of this unknown window at the top and then allow all windows to be exposed in normal size...??!

would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions, thanks!

Stu View attachment 10445

OP
S
Reaction score
would really appreciate any input on this... no point in having expose if i can't see which windows to switch to!!

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
Is the problem (and the unknown window at the top of the Expose screen) still there after you've quit all of your running applications and then rebooted the computer?

OP
S
Reaction score
Is the problem (and the unknown window at the top of the Expose screen) still there after you've quit all of your running applications and then rebooted the computer?

hi, thanks for your reply.

yes, the problem and mystery window are still there after every reboot...

i might have to start uninstalling programs one-by-one to see if any of them is causing this... i can't seem to find any other solution at the moment!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After a reboot, what does the Expose screen look like (prior to starting any other apps).

If this is starting from boot up, look in System Preferences / Accounts / your user account / Login items.

OP
S
Reaction score
After a reboot, what does the Expose screen look like (prior to starting any other apps).

If this is starting from boot up, look in System Preferences / Accounts / your user account / Login items.

thanks for the suggestion but can't see any rogue login items that it could be.

after a reboot, without starting any apps, the mystery window is still shown in expose in the same place and the same size...

any other ideas??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.
Try changing the size of a couple of the windows that you have open. Then do Expose again and see if it becomes normal. I've heard of other people having similar problems because Expose couldn't figure out the window sizes so they end up with windows even in a row at the bottom near the dock or in small grids. The solution seems to be changing some of the windows sizes so that it forces Expose to recalculate....As for the hidden window, I can see a little white box, but am not sure what that is - maybe you can run the Activity Monitor (under Applications -> Utilities) and see what's running.

OP
S
Reaction score
Try changing the size of a couple of the windows that you have open. Then do Expose again and see if it becomes normal. I've heard of other people having similar problems because Expose couldn't figure out the window sizes so they end up with windows even in a row at the bottom near the dock or in small grids. The solution seems to be changing some of the windows sizes so that it forces Expose to recalculate....As for the hidden window, I can see a little white box, but am not sure what that is - maybe you can run the Activity Monitor (under Applications -> Utilities) and see what's running.

THANK YOU!!

i used the activity monitor (didnt know about this!) and by process of elimination i discovered the mystery window was caused by a yahoo widget that i had installed a while ago. as soon as i quit that... problem solved!

thanks again and to all the suggestions! :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Amazing - nice one Zero - don't know why the rest of us didn't think of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.
You're welcome! I"m just glad that it worked :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.