• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why do people hate me for using a Mac...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz intel core2duo,ati HD2400, aluminum 20" with a 1gig of ddr2 800mhz. 250gig HD OSx (10.5.6)
"ugh"'s the usual response i get whenever i tell anyone I use a mac; I've heard every complaint from limited customization to sub-par performance, thinking that would somehow change what I use or "enlighten" me.. whatever i choose to use isn't really important, how it takes care of me is.. even with my setup, I'm starting to wonder what's going to happen when next marks the end of my warranty.. Is the warranty good for a year or only six months? first boot was in late september but my warranty, according to apple, is set to end in may.. Not sure where to go with that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
"ugh"'s the usual response i get whenever i tell anyone I use a mac; I've heard every complaint from limited customization to sub-par performance, thinking that would somehow change what I use or "enlighten" me.. whatever i choose to use isn't really important, how it takes care of me is.. even with my setup, I'm starting to wonder what's going to happen when next marks the end of my warranty.. Is the warranty good for a year or only six months? first boot was in late september but my warranty, according to apple, is set to end in may.. Not sure where to go with that.

In the US, it's for one year. Not sure about other parts of the world, although I would be surprised that it's less than a year elsewhere. I would contact Apple just to confirm, as I have heard of situations in the past where Apple got the warranty end dates wrong.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
people usually think i'm a stuck-up hipster, but they're pretty spot-on

Reaction score
one of my closest friends is a nut to me cause i have a mac but its fine hah, you get used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I just bought a 30" HP monitor to use with my mac. Now I have HP, Dell, Apple, OS X, Linux, XP, Vista, and WHS.

I'm a computer in general it seems.

Reaction score
As a quad core PC owner, I like my PC. But as a MacBookPro owner, I love my mac! If someone discriminates, well - they have deeper issues. Don't worry about acceptance, choose what feels best for you. No one will ever hurt you physically for owning a Mac right? :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
well i usually just shake my head when someone says something. my friend's GF is a total moron and constantly says stupid things like "well, you have a mac so there are so many things you can't do on it that i can on my PC" but to this day she has yet to answer my reply asking here what she is referring to that i can't do on my mac that she can on her PC. it was really funny when i confused her by telling her that my mac is also a PC since technically PC stands for personal computer. she had a real confused look on her face for a couple minutes....classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
My band of closest friends really upset me about this subject. They are all hard-core PC gamer type people, and are really into FPS games like Left for Dead, Team Fortress 2, Unreal Tournament, etc. I always try to tell them that Macs are equal than, if not better than, a PC (minus the gaming). But they are all convinced that Macs are worthless and cant do anything. Its a tough battle to argue with gamers, since they win on that subject, but quite annoying when they turn a blind eye to everything else. I guess there is just no arguing with some people. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
It's your own fault !

You probably walk around with a smile on your face and when friends say they've got a virus on their PC ask 'what's that?'

Seriously, I use both at home and have to use WinxPPro at work. My preference is for my Mac but that's because I like it and the stuff I do on it gives me pleasure.

XP (imo is the best OS to come from MS) is frustrating only because it's so intrusive - made even worse because of the security environment I work in. Doesn't make it bad, just makes it frustrating and very slow - but that's likely to be the infrastructure as much as the platform.

My wife is a psychotherapist. She would say : 'Other peoples' opinions of you are none of your business'. She'd be right too.

As the man said up top, don't be an evangelist, it's not necessary. If they don't like you, go find some new friends . . . perhaps more enlightened ones - but that depends on YOU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Other people's opinions are none of your/our business, I agree. Until they force their opinions on us. And try to make us think their hatred of Macs is something we should share in too.

And we all can't have enlightened friends. We have to preach the Mac word. But not like an evangelist of something. Just if someone asks us computer questions, always remember to share with them the Apple as well as the non apple solutions.

And to the gamers, I just say, sure your machine is ace for games. And mine is ace for practically everything else. So for the one day you have to do something other than game, your screwed, and I with my Apple am not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
And to the gamers, I just say, sure your machine is ace for games. And mine is ace for practically everything else. So for the one day you have to do something other than game, your screwed, and I with my Apple am not.

Good point. I'll remember to keep that in mind for the next time they complain about it :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You could use the old Harley saying "If i have to explain you would not understand.'

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Not sure I agree with that because most Overclocked gaming rigs have like multiple video cards are at least extremely high end. Crazy CPU speeds and ludicrous amounts of RAM. That can pretty much do anything...

Not saying that a Mac Pro doesn't but I'm just saying. PC Gaming rigs are more than capable of doing what a Mac can.

I just prefer to keep gaming to PCs and work to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
For me I leave the gaming to my PS3. Game consoles are designed for gaming; everything else they do is a secondary function. In my mind my Macbook is for everything else and then gaming is a secondary function to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Not sure I agree with that because most Overclocked gaming rigs have like multiple video cards are at least extremely high end. Crazy CPU speeds and ludicrous amounts of RAM. That can pretty much do anything...

Not saying that a Mac Pro doesn't but I'm just saying. PC Gaming rigs are more than capable of doing what a Mac can.

I know this one's 3 months old, but wow. If I liked the Windows version of photoshop, editing multiple photos that are 21mp+ and composites with over 35 layers and would definitely go faster on my i7 gaming machine, especially with 6gb of RAM.

My MBP drags butt in comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
Are you sure they mean it seriously? I mean - I have of course heard my fair share of "piece-of-[CENSORED]-computer"-comments after making the switch... but when I say that my UMB was the cheapest computer to fulfil my requirements to a notebook, topics are changed after a break.

Some people draw parallells between computers and girls - in the way that they deny the possibility of beauty and intelligence occuring in one and the same entity. The same way that the foxiest girls in high-school ended up with a McCareer and the intelligent girls were ignored by the football-team and practically everyone else, it's considered impossible for a computer to be beautiful and smart at the same time. The aesthetics are misunderstood and as such believed to be a compensation for the lack of decent hardware.

Who said ignorance is bliss?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Unibody
its really not a big deal but some people are probably just jealous.

Reaction score
I go either way. I recently got a MBP13", it's nifty, I like it. But I also like Windows computers. I'm not the type to worship/glorify a brand name like a lot of people. Being an Apple fan is one thing, but glorifying Apple and bashing other people for what they use is ridiculous.

As for people "hating" you for using a mac, they're just being narrow minded. But then, both sides are to blame. Think of it in terms of nuclear warfare between the U.S. and some other country. Someone sends a nuke at us, we send 4 back at them, then it keeps going back and forth, but then... there'd be nothing left, haha. (Don't take this seriously)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Maybe they don't hate you for using a Mac, maybe there are other reasons...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe they don't hate you for using a Mac, maybe there are other reasons...

Yes Baggss, I hate you because according to your Avatar, your neck and head look like a Palm Tree! :D Grin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.