• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why do people hate me for using a Mac...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
To answer your question, because you probably annoyed them.

To further the conversation, I truly do feel the way you do. I know what you mean but I keep all those feelings to myself because I wouldn't want to hear it from anyone else. I am new to Macintosh computers and I am LOVING IT. I have always wanted to get one but my husband kept nixing it saying things like, "it's a whole new creature". Well, YEAH!! Duh. But I didn't rock the boat.

Well, we have one now, and I love the new creature. I love it very much. But I didn't throw out the PCs. Just relocated them. (I even just picked up an iMac G3 for my daughter's room for $50.00).

As much as I want to go to the tallest building and shout to the rest of the world that I love my iMac, I just keep my giddiness to myself :)
(Except for here--in this post--obviously)

Just don't talk to them about your computer so much or in such ways that make it seem like Macs are better than what they are using. You may inadvertently be putting them off (not that you mean to).

I'd have to agree. I can even see that a bit just reading the OP's post. Macs are great. Windows (haven't experienced the newest, but at least XP) is also great. Both aren't perfect. Both have their fanboys and they're all just as annoying.

It's great when I go to a LAN and people see me lay a Mac Pro down and still kick **** in Left 4 Dead with the Apple Mighty Mouse, though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
And as a computer tech (hey there fellow techy), you'll realize that Windows itself is not flawed in a way to where it will automatically fall down in a pile of flames one day, it's that the users are fundamentally flawed and they're the reason that their computers will fall down into a pile of flames one day.

Have to disagree there. The registry is a fundamental flaw of Windows and under normal use, will eventually lead to "Windows rot". It was a good concept in 1994, back before the days of gigabytes of keys and when software was much less complex. Today, it's Windows' Achilles heel and one of the reasons it's so easy for malware or even poorly designed installer/uninstallers to damage a Windows machne.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As someone who has been a mac user in harder times, I can totally relate. But now all you have to do is talk about the great 3rd party mac software that is being ported to windows instead of the other way around... man times have changed.
Care to provide examples? Office was "ported" to OS X (not really ported) and all games are generally ported to OS X.

If you're talking about iTunes, Apple did it to expand their iPod market. Other Apple software ported to Windows was done strategically.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'd have to agree. I can even see that a bit just reading the OP's post. Macs are great. Windows (haven't experienced the newest, but at least XP) is also great. Both aren't perfect. Both have their fanboys and they're all just as annoying.

It's great when I go to a LAN and people see me lay a Mac Pro down and still kick **** in Left 4 Dead with the Apple Mighty Mouse, though.

I would love to be there to see the look on some faces!!! How are you winning with a Mighty Mouse? Many have said it's a horrible gaming mouse. From the little I messed with a MM doing any real gaming, I can sort of see what they are talking about. You are an amazing gamer if you can win with that mouse! :D

From my usage anyway, Windows 7 is pretty solid. Maybe you can get a chance to mess with that! I am impressed so far.

And to VI, Yes, I have to agree with you at least in the fact that a bad user can and does mess up even a very good computer! I see it all the time. If it was not for the $$$ I would refuse a lot of jobs from some people! :D

But I still feel Windows is a lot easier to reek havoc with for those very users we both are talking about than OSX. Sure you can mess up OSX if you really try, but I always feel when using Windows that I have to be a bit more careful than with my Macs. I RARELY have issues with my XP or even Vista Rigs but I am a very careful person normally and know what not to do if you know what I mean. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Care to provide examples? Office was "ported" to OS X (not really ported) and all games are generally ported to OS X.

If you're talking about iTunes, Apple did it to expand their iPod market. Other Apple software ported to Windows was done strategically.

3rd party software. Adium for one, Ambrosia games (haha, EV ftw!), but yea. You're right. I guess just seeing ANY mac software showing up on Windows kind of blew my mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
3rd party software. Adium for one, Ambrosia games (haha, EV ftw!), but yea. You're right. I guess just seeing ANY mac software showing up on Windows kind of blew my mind.

Handbrake is another example. It started as a Linux/MacOS Open Source project that eventually was moved to the PC platform. It's development has lagged behind the Mac version simply because most of the developers don't want to touch a Windows box with a 10 foot pole.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I would love to be there to see the look on some faces!!! How are you winning with a Mighty Mouse? Many have said it's a horrible gaming mouse. From the little I messed with a MM doing any real gaming, I can sort of see what they are talking about. You are an amazing gamer if you can win with that mouse! :D

From my usage anyway, Windows 7 is pretty solid. Maybe you can get a chance to mess with that! I am impressed so far.

And to VI, Yes, I have to agree with you at least in the fact that a bad user can and does mess up even a very good computer! I see it all the time. If it was not for the $$$ I would refuse a lot of jobs from some people! :D

But I still feel Windows is a lot easier to reek havoc with for those very users we both are talking about than OSX. Sure you can mess up OSX if you really try, but I always feel when using Windows that I have to be a bit more careful than with my Macs. I RARELY have issues with my XP or even Vista Rigs but I am a very careful person normally and know what not to do if you know what I mean. :D

It's actually pretty easy for me. I'd love to have another mouse but the I'm too comfortable with this thing. When the scroll wheel doesn't work one way, that gets annoying. Really, my only gripe with Windows is that if you're in the middle of playing a game, it'll minimize it (and the game won't pause) telling you that your automatic updates has finished downloading and will restart in 1 min or you can tell it to restart later. Might as well tell it to do it right there because it'll keep doing that.

Fine, I restart.

Then, it happens AGAIN even right after I did that. At this point, I uncharacteristically curse at Windows and get back to having what little free time I have left of the month to playing my zombie video game. That's probably why, I infrequently use Windows except for gaming and some other apps that can't be used on OSX so it has to catch up. Other than that, XP and the programs don't nearly crash as much as the apps do on my Mac (Photoshop is about the same. Firefox actually crashes more on the mac.)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really don't use Firefox on OSX that much. I get an occasional Safari Crash but they are pretty rare on my main macs I use daily. I really rarely see any application crashes under OSX. Just here and there and I run this one machine 24 hours a day. It's always doing something it seems. I really don't have many crashes in XP or Vista either though for that matter. Ever since Windows 2k things have been pretty stable. I know the typical Mac Fanboy will say that XP gets Bluescreens every 5 minutes on good hardware, but that is just not true.

That whole update thing when playing a Game has caused me to loose it a couple of times when I had to go back and win the round I was playing all over again which a few times took hours. When I am just playing games here at the house I run my AntiVirus update and have it check for Windows updates before I start to play. Otherwise who knows what will pop up in the middle of a game! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Handbrake is another example. It started as a Linux/MacOS Open Source project that eventually was moved to the PC platform. It's development has lagged behind the Mac version simply because most of the developers don't want to touch a Windows box with a 10 foot pole.

Yea, I can understand their dilemma. I could have my laptop now if I wanted to deal with MS or linux and just buy a sheistier machine... but I want that aluminum body macbook. Durability, lack of hardware breakdowns... I love having a computer that never flat out breaks on me. I mean. I'm on an eMac right now that was made 6+ years ago and it's running Tiger. Pretty snazzy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
So basically all we are wanting is Windows 7 to be idiot proof.
Well that'd be good in a way less windows problems. But less business for the IT techs out there and less people wanting to switch. So it all depends on how you look at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could care less what Windows 7 does, unless it's revolutionary... but by all accounts and what I've seen from it, it isn't. It's Vista SP3

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So basically all we are wanting is Windows 7 to be idiot proof.
Well that'd be good in a way less windows problems. But less business for the IT techs out there and less people wanting to switch. So it all depends on how you look at it.

That's not all I'm wanting.

Windows 7 is shaping up to be a refinement of Vista, and that's a good thing. It has a much smaller footprint, they've modified the UI to make a little more sense, and the revamped taskbar is an excellent step forward (and in some ways superior to the OS X Dock).

The problem is that there is no way to market this other than to say "Hey, we finally fixed Vista - Windows 7 is everything Vista should have been". Unfortunately, it's too little, too late - a revamp of Vista isn't all that is needed now.

The NT kernel has not aged well. It doesn't do any kind of preemptive multiprocessing, which is one of the things that is very necessary in this day and age of multicore processors. One can manually change processor affinity for individual processes, but there is no facility for dynamically shuffling between processors, based on load. This is a real problem since the clock speeds of processors really aren't changing to increase the performance - instead we're adding massive parallelism to processors, and this trend will likely continue for some time.

This is something that Apple IS addressing in Snow Leopard, with technologies like OpenCL and Grand Central. It should be interesting to see how the fanboys spin this new OS war. Especially since the improvements in Snow Leopard will be less apparent than those from Vista to Windows 7, which are largely cosmetic.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's actually pretty easy for me. I'd love to have another mouse but the I'm too comfortable with this thing. When the scroll wheel doesn't work one way, that gets annoying. Really, my only gripe with Windows is that if you're in the middle of playing a game, it'll minimize it (and the game won't pause) telling you that your automatic updates has finished downloading and will restart in 1 min or you can tell it to restart later. Might as well tell it to do it right there because it'll keep doing that.

Fine, I restart.

Then, it happens AGAIN even right after I did that. At this point, I uncharacteristically curse at Windows and get back to having what little free time I have left of the month to playing my zombie video game. That's probably why, I infrequently use Windows except for gaming and some other apps that can't be used on OSX so it has to catch up. Other than that, XP and the programs don't nearly crash as much as the apps do on my Mac (Photoshop is about the same. Firefox actually crashes more on the mac.)
You can turn automatic updates off ;).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can turn automatic updates off ;).

Yes you can but then a Virus window might pop up! :D

Joking around but I have had that happen also right in the middle of a game. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The problem is that there is no way to market this other than to say "Hey, we finally fixed Vista - Windows 7 is everything Vista should have been". Unfortunately, it's too little, too late - a revamp of Vista isn't all that is needed now.
Which is exactly why they haven't really mentioned Vista or even used the word "Windows" in their ads at all lately. Everything is just "PC" now. Windows isn't really a part of their commercials anymore.

They have more or less ignored the shortcomings of the Windows OS completely and have stooped to the level of the age-old (and still inaccurate) "Macs cost more, get a Windows machine" tactic.

Instead of using facts, they have employed actors to personify the opinions of the stereotypical "ignorant Windows user"... someone who knows nothing about Macs at all, but has plenty of opinions about them: "they just look pretty, but can't actually do anything", "they cost way too much money", "Macs are just a 'status symbol' that snobs have", etc.

Sure the Apple ads made the Windows user out to be some sort of nerdy business type. And yes, some of the Apple ads were just plain fluff... but, the majority of the ads still left the viewer with the message that the Mac can do things in a sometimes simpler, more efficient way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Wandering off topic again (if there ever was one), don't you think Vista was the OS that was never needed?

From a users point of view, XP is actually a pretty good OS. If you put the effort in and set it up well (by which I mean install a decent autoupdating AV package, etc), it's very stable, and doesn't need a ton of hardware to run at a decent speed.

A reasonably competent user can run it for years and never have a problem. (My trusty HP laptop has been going for 4 years on the original install).

That gave MS a problem. Once we all had XP, what were they going to sell us? MS needs to spit out a new OS every 3 years or so to generate revenue, whether or not it's needed. Personally I don't think Vista was needed, and it really shows in the way it is loaded with gadgets and geegaws that do nothing except slow it down. It also shows in it's catastrophic take-up. I was a Windows sys admin for years, I should be all over new OS'es but I have never even looked at Vista.

Course you have to go along with my 'XP is as good as it gets' theory to swallow this, and I'm probably in the wrong forum to get much sympathy for that one . . . :D

The correct answer of course is that MS dropped the ball, Apple are running with it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
MS needs to spit out a new OS every 3 years or so to generate revenue, whether or not it's needed.

Another, more perfect example of this:

Windows ME

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wandering off topic again (if there ever was one), don't you think Vista was the OS that was never needed?

I'll go one further and say that XP was never needed.

XP was basically window dressing on Windows 2000, which WAS sorely needed.

NT4, the first mainstream implementation of the NT kernel and was sorely lacking. It lacked plug-and-play support, power management, and even simple things like USB support.

When 2000 was released, it was a huge improvement. It had all the usability of Windows 9x, but the stability and robustness of NT4. In fact, Microsoft had originally planned to make a Home version of Windows 2000, but at the time, there was some concern about compatibility issues (many 16 bit applications didn't play ball with NT).

So, instead, they waited a couple of years, gussied up the UI of 2000 and threw in a few mostly useless apps like Windows Movie Maker and improved boot time and called it XP. That's not to belittle XP, as it was a fine OS in its own right, but it was mostly a minor revision to Windows 2000.

When Windows Vista was initially announced, there were some major initiatives that were supposed to substantiate the product. Palladium (a new security platform), WinFS (a new file system), and Aero (a much needed ground up rethinking of the GDI) were the whole reason for Vista to exist in the first place. When MS more or less dropped the first two, in an effort to get it out the door faster, that was the first nail in Vista's coffin.

I'm convinced that Windows has simply become so big, bloated and convoluted, that further development is like trying to turn the Titanic. I feel very strongly that it's time for Microsoft to rethink NT altogether... and the right decision (GASP) might even be to adopt a Linux kernel.

Of course pigs will fly first, but I do think that would be the best decision for MS at this point. They have no experience with building an OS from the ground-up (keep in mind that DOS was bought from another company and NT was co-developed with IBM), they might as well adopt someone else's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Another, more perfect example of this:

Windows ME

Exactly.

It's like taking a Ferrari and replacing the carbon fiber bodyshell with reinforced concrete. (OK Win 98 <> A Ferrari, but you know what I mean :) )

One the other hand, it's also true to say that any software house has to do the same, but MS have a track record for taking backward leaps every so often. OSX seems to have been consistently improving, without overtaking the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.