No Sound on my G4 iBook

Reaction score
Hey,

Sorry if this has been posted before.

I bought my iBook second hand, so I don't have applecare unfortunately.

The other day the speakers crapped out. They started to crackle and then there was nothing. I restarted the computer, and the startup tone sounded. When my OS booted, I tried to adjust the volume and found a massive lag with sound up and sound down icons and no sound apart from the aforementioned crack intermittently.

I briefly researched the topic and found the troubleshooting to not to be effective. I just tried plugging headphones into the jack and found them to produce no sound either.

Has my sound card crapped out? I am at a loss and don't want to drop a ton of cash on a new sound card or have the speakers replaced if its something I can do myself.

Any help is appreciated!

-kyle_w

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.
Have you lost sound on everything or just somethings? Have you also run across the fix using Garageband - where you load that up, play some notes and then see if sound comes back?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.