Running in closed lid mode, temperature

Reaction score
I got a unibody macbook pro (2.4") and I run it in closed lid mode all the time. I noticed that the fan NEVER makes noise. I checked the temps using iStat and it said the temps were around 65 celcius (for CPU A, for some reason, it doesn't show the second CPU unless there's only 1 sensor for both processors).

At 65 celcius, the fans were running at 2000rpm (sounds low). Is this safe? Underneath the macbook, it felt very hot (near the CPU area, the other side was cold however).

I read that it draws air from the keyboard section and exhausts air near the opening between the keyboard and the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
yea i use SMCFan (Free App) and put it on highest RPM (6200 rpm for me) while i'm in clamshell mode with an external display. Never any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
why not opening the lid while running an external display!?! That's what I do and my temps are low.

just boot up your notebook, then once everything is up and running, close the lid. The notebook will go into sleep mode. Using an external keyboard, hit a key to wake up the computer. Once everything is good, open the lid and your notebook display will be "off".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
yea i use SMCFan (Free App) and put it on highest RPM (6200 rpm for me) while i'm in clamshell mode with an external display. Never any issues.

Not only is 6200 RPM noisy, but you can bet you're shortening the life of your fan. Mac portables are designed to operate in clamshell mode, no need to put your fan in takeoff mode. A notebook stand will actually help more and will also protect against nasty spills. You can also place a small rubber or felt stop under the lid to keep it open about 1/2 inch.

Regards.

Reaction score
Not an answer to this questions, but maybe you guys can answer mine!

I was just looking around for Macbook Pro help for my 17" unibody (warped and bent body, I can only find one similar post).. and I found this one... I was wondering how to make my notebook run with the lid closed while I'm running it in my TV through the mini Display port.. 'cuz every time I do it will go into sleep mode.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I was just looking around for Macbook Pro help for my 17" unibody (warped and bent body, I can only find one similar post).. and I found this one... I was wondering how to make my notebook run with the lid closed while I'm running it in my TV through the mini Display port.. 'cuz every time I do it will go into sleep mode.

Thanks!

Welcome to Mac Forums.
Here you go.... Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.