Web pages loading more slowly with new Netgear router

Reaction score
My wireless speeds on my Macbook seemed fine with my old Linksys router (which was wired to an XP PC and a Vista PC). At the time I had set up static IP addresses on the PCs but done nothing special on my Macbook.

I changed to a Netgear WNR2000 Wireless N router recently, as when I was using BitTorrent on the PCs my upload speeds were slow, and I read recommendations that Linksys routers tended to slow that down and the Netgear router came highly recommended. I assumed that with Wireless N replacing G the speeds seen on my Macbook would also get faster (although not blazingly fast, I have to say they were plenty good enough for me before I changed).

So now with the new router things are far too slow on the Macbook, with pages taking 20 or 30 seconds to load.

I'll stress that I'm not that experienced with this type of thing. I had only been able to assign static IP addresses on the PCs by following a step-by-step idiot's guide I printed from portforward.com.

Incidentally the PCs are currently set back to dynamic IP addresses thanks to the tinkering of a Comcast engineer who came round when my connection was lost the other day (not sure whether this is relevant to my problem/question).

I will say that:

1) the internet speed on my two PCs are currently fine, and
2) I'm currently using my Macbook wirelessly at a hotel and, again, speeds are fine.

I'm assuming that it's my Macbook and Netgear router not playing nicely together, so does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.