Writing movies to DVD

Reaction score
Hi - I've been searching for a couple days but not found a conclusive answer to what I'm after! I have an unprotected .m4v file that I want to write to DVD so that it will read and play on a 'normal' dvd player.

From what I can tell I need to convert its format, but to what? And how? I think DVDs need to be in .vob format? I've also heard that they will read .mpeg files but that doesn't seem right.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
IDVD should already have come with your mac

If you do not have it installed, then the open source Burn is an alternative

Burn - Home

OP
T
Reaction score
IDVD should already have come with your mac

If you do not have it installed, then the open source Burn is an alternative

Burn - Home
My MBP is approx. 18 months old, not sure if that makes a difference! I did think at the time it was supposed to come with iLife but didn't think about it until nearly a year later, then couldn't find any evidence to support that thought...

Thanks for your help though :)

Reaction score
You can use ffmpegx and it makes you the VIDEO_TS file with the .vob files and then inside the program if you go to tools -> img you can make the VIDEO_TS folder into an image that you can burn with disk utility. The only downside is you can't make the cool windows before the movie like in idvd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.